Cookie Layer In Cake

Decorating By sweetness_221 Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 1:16am by tracey1970

sweetness_221 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:28am
post #1 of 15

My DH's birthday is coming up and I was thinking about doing a cookie layer in his cake. Originally I was going to do a chocolate chip cookie layer in a yellow cake, but he's decided he wants a spice cake instead. My question is what kind of a cookie other than a sugar cookie would go well in a spice cake. Do you think a chocolate chip cookie would taste good in it? My ideas have run out. I ended up making him a carmel apple spice cake last year. I would like to try something new this time with the cookie layer in it. If any of you have any ideas please help me out.

14 replies
cakebaker1978 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:04am
post #2 of 15

How about a gingerbread cookie?? Or maybe a pumpkin cookie!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Iced-Pumpkin-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Ohhhhhh....maybe some type of apple spice cookie....Hmmmmm...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Glazed-Apple-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Good luck!! :0) I hope I helped even a little bit!!!! thumbs_up.gif

sweetness_221 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 15

ooohhh a pumpkin cookie sounds yummy. I might just have to try that. He loves pumpkin bread so that might be the way to go. Thanks for your ideas!

cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 15

A snickerdoodle might be nice too.

brincess_b Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 15

how about orange, cinamon, or toffee/ fudge? i think a sugar cookie would taste good, with the choc chips, or rasins even?
xx

JGMB Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 15

Is this something new, or is it done often? I've never heard of it before. Do you just make one big cookie that would serve as another cake layer, or do you crumble up the cookie into the frosting? I'm really curious!

sweetness_221 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Is this something new, or is it done often? I've never heard of it before. Do you just make one big cookie that would serve as another cake layer, or do you crumble up the cookie into the frosting? I'm really curious!

I got the idea off of here. Not sure where it is on here, but there's a discussion about this kind of cake. Basically it's a cookie layer in between cake. From what I've heard it's very yummy.

BCJean Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 15

I think a peanut butter cookie would taste great with a spice cake.

want2bcupcakequeen Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 15

JGMB - You make one big cookie to use as the center layer. Use the same size cake pan for the cookie. I made a chocolate cake with a peanut butter cookie filling. I put frosting on both cake layers to sandwich the cookie and make sure things didn't slide around while I was cutting the cake.

leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 15

ooh wanttobe, I made the same flavors. Choc cake, pbutter cookie. yummo!

justsweet Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 15

if you PM your e-mail address I can send you a recipe and picture of a cookie cake that was done here on cake central.

here is the picture she did:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=29797

I found the recipe too that was given to me, if you want to check it out.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-20047-.html

mbt4955 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 15

I did this a couple of years ago as a groom's cake (at the groom's request). He wanted brownies with a peanut butter cookie layer and dark chocolate ganache (or as he said - fudge for frosting). It was a 16" round cake and I couldn't get a regular cookie to get done in the middle without being completely hard on the edges. I found a no bake peanut butter cookie on allrecipes.com that worked perfectly. It was frosted wtih bittersweet ganache and they had a big pitcher of milk on the cake table!

After reading about all the great combinations on CC, I tried a sugar cookie layer with carrot cake for my mom's birthday. I used orange cream cheese frosting and some people loved it, but I didn't think the cookie added much. Maybe the cake and frosting were just too rich to add the sugar cookie. Any thoughts? Have any of you done a cookie layer with carrot cake?

volleyball47 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:47am
post #13 of 15

do you make the batter and then put it in the layers and have it cook with the cake? or do you make the cookie first? im confused!

bettinashoe Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #14 of 15

I put a sugar cookie in the last groom's cake I made which was a deep chocolate cake. It was a big hit and most people didn't realize it was a cookie; they just knew it tasted different/better. I was thinking your spice cake would be great with either peanut butter or pumpkin. This is a lot of fun to do and makes a most interesting conversation piece. You'll be surprised by the reaction. Just make and ice your bottom cake layer like you normally would. Then put the baked cookie on top of the bottom cake layer. Add a thin coat of icing on top of the cookie and then add the top cake layer. Frost your cake as you normally would.

tracey1970 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #15 of 15

For those who are questioning what this is about...here's a lengthy thread that occurred a while ago on this very topic. Everything is explained in great detail:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607123.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%