First Time Fondant

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm by IcedTea4Me2

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:12am
post #1 of 8

I've decided to give it a try. What kind is the best for someone who is trying it for the first time? MMF? Satin Ice? Fondarific? Wilton? Others? Honestly, I want it to taste good, too, so I'm thinking Wilton is out. I do want to be able to eat the cake! Any suggestions on which one is the easiest to work with? Thanks.

Lisa

7 replies
msgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgirl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:30am
post #2 of 8

I made fondant for the first time a couple of months ago. I used Michelle Foster's recipe and it turned out great!

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #3 of 8

IcedTea - yep, Wilton is definitely out if want something that actually tastes like a food product. I have used SatinIce and have been really pleased with it, though now I am making my own MMF (so excited!) and find it is pretty easy to work with and tastes better than any fondant I have tasted so far. If this is your first adventure with fondant, you might want to just go with SatinIce, then move into MMF once you feel confident. Good luck!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #4 of 8

Since this will be your very first time, do not buy the expensive ones. Get the Wilton one for practice.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:28am
post #5 of 8

Wilton does handle differently than the "good ones". It is harder to roll out and way more elastic, but still good for practice. IMO the very best performance and tasting one is Massa Gruschina from Albert Uster imports but it is pricey. My next choice is Fondx. Satin Ice and Pettinice have been giving me a little trouble lately, but it may just be me. Lots of peole use those 2 and love them.

All of the above is JMO.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:46am
post #6 of 8

The Wilton fondant was pretty easy to work with as I covered a 3 tier stacked square cake a year and a half ago without having a clue what I was doing and it turned out not so bad, but it tasted terrible I didn't think I ever wanted to work with fondant ever again! I've made Michele Fosters fondant and it worked ok, but I think I left it too soft and I've made MMF, but haven't covered a cake with it yet. It seems like it will hold up. I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Michaels for Wilton, so I try to go cheap until I know what I'm doing (if that day ever will come)!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 8

I think a chocolate based fondant is the best. I like the way you can roll it REALLY thin and they taste great!

Jen icon_smile.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the input.

Jen, I was thinking I'd try chocolate anyway. (my true love = chocolate!)

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%