Copycat Cake Mix Recipes??

Baking By lkoenig07 Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm by steplite

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I'm fairly new at cake decorating (it's been almost a year) & I'm still trying to find the recipes I want to use for good. I haven't found any. I've tried a bunch, and I always make from scratch... unless I'm making a cake for free - in which case I use box mixes. The problem is, my scratch cakes aren't bad, they're just very heavy. Box mixes are very light & fluffy, and it seems like everyone raves about those cakes. So I decided that I'd like to find a recipe that is a copycat from a box mix, so I can make it from scratch. Or at least find light & fluffy cake recipes that I know people will love & rave about. Anyone have any??

7 replies
Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:29am
post #2 of 8

I have'nt tried alot of scratch recipes myself. Someone on this web site recommended I try the cake mix from smart and final. I really liked how light and moist it was and it didn't taste like a boxed cake which is great. People won't even realize its store bought! I find it less expensive than baking from scratch.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:12am
post #3 of 8

Making a scratch cake is more about techinque than the ingredients. All the ingredients are the same. The ratios are about the same. There is very little difference between scratch recipes, there are differences though. It's more about technique. Try again letting your butter, and sugar cream really well. When creaming your butter, and sugar will turn white. Now you want to keep whipping till it gets fluffy. Add your eggs, and keep beating. This will add some more air to the batter. Stir your milk in. Now here is where it's going to get a lot of differences. Sift your flour, no matter what the recipe says, sift it. You can stir it in by hand, or by mixer. You need to do this in about three stages though, adding it a third at a time. Doing it by hand will ensure a feel for the batter, and make sure you develope the least amt. of gluten possible. Fill the pans, and don't bang them on the counter.

Mike

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 8

Mike,
I've read that 'tapping' the pans on the counter gets the air bubbles out.

So which is correct? I'm not a professional, I just like to bake.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Mike,
I've read that 'tapping' the pans on the counter gets the air bubbles out.

So which is correct? I'm not a professional, I just like to bake.

You spend all that time putting air in the butter, and eggs why would you take it out?

Mike

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with Mike on the sifting. You have to sift first then measure. scoop out three cups of flour sift,(Or what ever the recipe calls for) then measure out three cups, you'll find you have flour left over. If you put the three scoops in the batter, without sifting you'll have more than the amount needed resulting in a heavy cake. Too much mixing after the flour is added will also result in a heavy cake. As for tapping the pan on the counter, I don't know. I do it because Paula Deen does it. But what Mike says, makes sense. As for my favorite recipe, I like the "Yellow Cake" recipe on www.wrenscottage.com. Click at the bottom "From Karen's Kitchen" That recipe uses the reverse creaming method which makes a very fluffy cake.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, I didn't know that after you sift you have more flour. Thanx! Good to know!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 8

Ikoenig07, After sifting you'll have LESS flour. Scooping out flour without measuring will result in more flour per cup. What I do is sift my cups of flour in a large bowl then then measure out what I need from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%