Black Fondant....help!!!!!

Decorating By Shazzana Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:00am by dreamdelights

Shazzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzana Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 19

i am making a mickey and minnie mouse cake for my niece for her birthday party. I need to know how i can get my fondant black. also, if i airbrush it in black will that color take? or does anyone have a good recipe for making black fondant? i have never made black fondant before or fondant for that matter. I have only used wilton fondant. if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

18 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 19

don't make -- buy!

www.intotheoven.com (over in Springfield) is where I get mine: SatinIce

good price, good service, great intense colors in as little as 2lbs.

they also have ChocoPan -- which is -- well, let's just say, I don't buy it often as too much goes in the the mouth (and then the hips/waist) and not enough onto the cakes! it's THAT good.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 19

I just made some black MMF (marshmallow fondant) over the weekend, and it was so easy! AND...I just simply added black color to the marshmallows and it came out dark, not a muted gray. So if you want to save some money, you could make it.
There are MMF recipes on this site for a basic MMF, but if you want my recipe PM me.

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 19

I've found that if you start out with chocolate fondant and add black coloring it works really well. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 19

if you have access to SatinIce brand fondant they make a black colored one that is really pretty good starting off.

true Black and true Red are hard colors.

Bella573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella573 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 19

Just buy regular white fondant from your local A. C. Moore, Micheals or wherever you purchas cake decoration supplies. Then, purchas black food coloring (the mini containers- not from a regular box of primary colors)- then put somein and tug and pull untill it is thouroughly mixed. If it turns out grey, then add more! SIMPLEthumbs_up.gif [/b]

TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 19

Here is the little Mickey cake I did a couple weeks ago. SatinIce Black fondant is what I used for the ears

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 19

I've made black fondant before and I have to say that it is definitely worth it to buy the Satin Ice container of pre-mixed black. It's certainly possible to color your own, but there's something to be said for avoiding all that kneading and the stained hands.

Miffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miffy Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:40am
post #9 of 19

I have just bought black fondant and it is fantastic....when I can't buy it I make my own by just adding black....which ends in dark grey!! I then mix some black colour with a little vodka and paint it on...perfect black and shiny icon_smile.gif

AMartin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMartin Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 19

I bought black fondant at Michaels craft store when I made my Wicked cake.. kind of cheating... but it's pure black and easy.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady11215

I've found that if you start out with chocolate fondant and add black coloring it works really well. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Ditto! I'm not sure if they still make them, but they used to have chocolate marshmallows. That made life (and black fondant) so much easier!

If you need to buy something, cheaper and tastes better, use the candy melts. There is a recipe on here for chocolate modeling clay using candy melts and corn syrup.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 19

I have made black MMF with no problem. If you add the color when the marshmellows are at the melted stage before you add the icing sugar you don't have to knead the color in. I used Americolor super black and it turns it black ..not grey...real black. HTH

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 19

I use Michelle Foster's chocolate recipe and add Americolor SuperBlack to the liquid right before adding to powdered sugar. Perfect everytime.

mammax4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mammax4 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 19

I made black fondant for a minnie mouse cake I did, got the recipe on here I believe. All you do is add half a pack of chocolate chips to the marshmallows the add your black dye (i ADDED A WHOLE JAR) it tasted great like chocolate and is very black

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:53am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

I have made black MMF with no problem. If you add the color when the marshmellows are at the melted stage before you add the icing sugar you don't have to knead the color in. I used Americolor super black and it turns it black ..not grey...real black. HTH

Ditto...this is exactly what I did. Turned out perfect. And if you still want it darker, just add alcohol to some black gel paste, and paint it on (like previous poster stated)

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:16am
post #16 of 19

I usually just paint the black on and yes an airbrusher will work too. When I'm painting I use the wilton gel and some of my airbrush black to dilute it just a bit for easier painting. The airbrush color has the drying agent that keeps the wilton gel from staying wet and sticky. Just mix in and paint away. Especially if it's a part they won't be eating..like if it's a topper or something. If they are going to eat it you can airbrush it. I have even airbrushed my smoothed buttercream. Just go slow and watch for beading..once a drip starts you can't recover.

Of course the EASIEST is to totally go buy some and trust me u'll use it. Just wrap it in the plastic and keep it in the tub. Or take the chocolate/brown fondant and make it black. That's how I get black icing so it doesn't tast bitter from putting too much dye in like you would have to with white icing. Hope this helps!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 19

As others have said...the best way to make black is to start with a dark chocolate fondant...specifically using Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa.

I read that here on CC, haven't tried it yet.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #18 of 19

Yes, this is exactly what I did for my black mmf, when you melt de marshmallow add the super black coloring and add some hershey dark cocoa powder this helps a lot.
after you cover the cake if you want it more black then use the airbrush and if you don't have one you can purchase a can spray from michaels and spray it black.
good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

Ditto...this is exactly what I did. Turned out perfect. And if you still want it darker, just add alcohol to some black gel paste, and paint it on (like previous poster stated)

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #19 of 19

I used the Satin Ice true black and it was great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%