Highchair Recall - Company Lied To Me,put My Baby In Danger

Lounge By FullHouse Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 1:23pm by FullHouse

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 7

There are so many mom's of babies and toddlers on this site that I just had to share this info with you all...

The Evenflo Majestic Highchair has recently been recalled (I have pasted the CPSC recall below). We had this exact problem with ours, I called Evenflo in March, they sent me a repair kit with longer screws, still didn't work. Customer service had told me then this was not a common problem and that even with a screw missing, highchair was safe to use, not dangerous. I'm so furious they lied about my son's safety!!!!! Our longer screws did pop out a few times, we put them back in, I called back and since the highchair still held up fine and they told me it was okay to use, we trusted Evenflo and continued to use the highchair (my DH had checked it and felt is was okay). I just called in response to last weeks recall and they said they do have a record of me calling, sorry that happened and would I like a new set of screws? They won't give a refund and the new screws (that they will ship out in approx. 2 weeks, and they recommend we don't use the highchair in the meantime) supposedly work better than the original replacements. We've had so many of our kids' things recalled, it's infuriating that these companies only have to send screws that may or may not work and before their belated recalls, our kids are at risk and to boot this time they assured me there was no danger. Anyway, despite my rant, I just wanted to make sure that you knew about this recall in case you have the same highchair or for reference if you have other problems in the future, to know you can't trust the info you receive from customer service.

I'm just thankful my son wasn't injured. I have called the CPSC and filed a report, the rep. there said that I can call my state Consumer Protection as well, which I plan to do tomorrow. We've had other issues with most of our Evenflo products not working correctly, but all involving bells and whistles not structual. I just can't understand how these companies put more money into their impossible to open packaging than into their product safety.

Quote:
Quote:

Hazard: Plastic caps and metal screws on both sides of the high chair can loosen and fall out, posing both fall and choking hazards to children. Plastic caps and screws that become loose and fall out can cause the seatback to suddenly fall back or detach from the high chair. Children can fall out or collide with objects and suffer broken bones, abrasions, cuts and bruises. Detached plastic caps and metal screws also pose a choking hazard to children.

Incidents/Injuries: Evenflo has received 140 reports of seatbacks reclining, falling back and/or detaching unexpectedly, which resulted in at least 47 reports of bumps and bruises to the head, two reports of broken bones, and at least 45 reports of other injuries including abrasions, cuts, and bruises. Evenflo has received more than 1,000 reports of plastic caps and screws falling out of the high chairs, including seven incidents in which caps and screws were found in children's hands or mouths but were removed before choking occurred.

Description: The recall involves Evenflo Majestic(tm) high chairs made before January 23, 2007. The recalled high chairs have the following model numbers: 3001395A, 3001583, 3001633A, 3001669, 3001700A, 3001713, 3001713A, 3001730A, 3001732, 3001732A, 3001733, 3001742, 3001742A, and 3001756. The model number and production date can be found on a white label on the seatback. "Evenflo" is printed on the label and on the push button on the front of the tray.

Sold at: Juvenile product and mass merchandise stores nationwide, including Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Burlington Coat Factory and Shopko, and on-line at walmart.com from January 2006 through May 2007 for between $80 and $110.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the high chairs and contact Evenflo to receive a free repair kit.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Evenflo at (800) 233-5921 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit www.majestichighchair.com

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09069.html

6 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 7

I would just put it in the garbage (or return it to the store where you purchased it) and go buy a Graco high chair. That was pretty much the only brand I used for everything for my 3 babies. I never did like Evenflo products, and even worse than that, Costco.

I'm very glad the high chair didn't injure your child! icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, we don't plan on trying the 2nd "repair" kit. I didn't think to try returning it to Babies R Us, but will now. I hate that I would have to shell out $$$ for a new highchair because of Evenflo's mistakes, esp. since he is now only a few months away from being ready for a booster seat, so if the store will take it back, that would be great. I had avoided Graco this time around because we had a recall on my now 9 year old's Graco stroller, reports of folding up with child in it after we had used that for a year and a half - solution was an extra screw, so we threw it out. I am upset that we don't feel we trust any of these products that are supposed to be tested and safe for babies. I try to research everything we buy for our little ones and usually find most companies have had recall issues, some worse than others, sorry to say I didn't research this highchair. Come to think of it, our last highchair was a Graco and had no problems, but you just never know. Thanks for the advice on Graco, I will check out their highchairs, afterall, the stroller incident was over 9 years ago.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:40am
post #4 of 7

Years ago, my mom bought a 'highchair' that straps into your kitchen chairs. It grows with the child and becomes a booster chair (just leave off the tray and push up to the table) that you can still strap your child into.

We used it for my nephew until he was tall enough to sit at the table by himself, and I have used it with my friend's daughter for the last year and a half. I even found one at Big Lots that I got for my house when she is there and for my future kids.

If you know your little one will out grow the highchair and you won't have another use for it, what about looking into one that straps on to your chairs and will grow through the toddler years?

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

TexasSugar, thanks, that is exactly what we've done. He is 17 months old, and we already had a booster with tray to use when we are eating at others' homes, as of today is his permanent chair here; he loves being at the table with the rest of the family, the highchair was just more convenient for us and, I thought, more secure.

I also found a few reviews on Amazon posted about this highchair, one spoke of a 6 month old being injured. I hope that hasn't happened to anyone here, I will never trust a repair kit again. I've thrown things out in the past when repair kits were offered, wish I would have this time too. Lesson learned, thankfully not the harder way.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:37am
post #6 of 7

It sure is scary trusting companies to manufacture safe products for our little ones and then have something prove to be unsafe. icon_sad.gif Congrats to your kiddo that permanently graduated out of his high chair today! High five to you both ~ another milestone has been reached!

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 7

I agree, I can't stand that we can only read a few reviews, then hope for the best. My son is very excited about his chair, I wasn't quite ready for that milestone myself it's hard watching them go from babyhood to toddlerhood but I do need to admit he is in toddlerhood and has been for a few months now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%