Cake For Sending Missionary To Brazil

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm by Elaine2581

Elaine2581 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to make a cake for the reception following a commissioning service for our Pastor's daughter who is going to Brazil as a missionary. The date is this coming Sunday evening so I only have a week to do it. I thought of shaping a cake like Brazil or making a book shaped cake with a message of encouragement. Any other ideas would be helpful.
Thanks,
Elaine
[email protected]

6 replies
2508s42 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:10am
post #2 of 7

You could make a stack of books, one a book about the language, like an english translations dictionary, and one the bible. Make the cake board from fondant and decorate it like a map of Brazil.

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:08am
post #3 of 7

I made a sheet cake some years ago for a missionary headed to an assignment in Africa. It had a lovely Bible verse on it which might work for your cake.

Matthew 28:19 - "Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples"

The cake had a design of Africa and small plastic African animal figures (provided by my client) and I think it turned out well. You could do the same thing, but make everything Brazil instead of Africa. This would all work on a tiered cake too.

Here's mine:
http://www.sugarfrosted.com/displayimage.php?pos=-359
Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see details better, if you need to.

kimberlina25 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

i think that a stack of books would be nice, maybe a bible or a language dictionary like others mentioned, i also think maybe the brazilian flag might be a nice touch.

sugarfrosted: is that Ronon?!?!?! i Frickin' LOVE him! I am soooo sad that Stargate was cancelled!

SugarFrosted Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlina25

sugarfrosted: is that Ronon?!?!?! i Frickin' LOVE him! I am soooo sad that Stargate was cancelled!

Yup! Isn't he just the yummiest thing! Gotta love those golden polynesian boys! I miss Stargate SG1 and soon Stargate Atlantis too icon_sad.gif

kimberlina25 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlina25

Yup! Isn't he just the yummiest thing! Gotta love those golden polynesian boys! I miss Stargate SG1 and soon Stargate Atlantis too icon_sad.gif

i know they are gonna come out with a new series, stargate:universe, i worry it may not be as good, but its by the same people, so maybe it will..... icon_confused.gif

Elaine2581 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I ended up making a 16 x 24 inch sheet cake, frosted with lime green buttercream and used lemon curd in the filling. I also baked a small book cake and placed it on top. I wrote out Matthew 5:16 on the right side of the book and make a candy clay candle and lampstand for the left side. Church members were complimentary so I'll try to figure out how to post a picture sometime. I am a beginner so I see all the flaws compared to other pictures posted here. Also, as a beginner, I didn't know how to make a stack of books. I did use the colors of the Brazilian flag to make stars around the black lettering of the word "BRAZIL" on the cake. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%