Need Airbrush Advice Asap - Anyone Have A Testor?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm by yellobutterfly

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 14

I found a local listing on craigslist for a testor airbrush, including colorings (used) and compressor, for $30! It's from a local bakery that went out of business. I want to jump on it but wanted to make sure it's a good brand, etc. The guy says that the "gun" is cracked and would need to be replaced...anyone know anything? Is this a good deal?

13 replies
auntginn Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 14

Did you try a google on airbrushes. I believe you can buy the gun rather inexpensively. However, its the compressor is where you might have an issue. How old is it and what condition. Because you may buy it at low cost but if it breaks down shortly after the purchase and you have to replace it, will it be worth the $30.00 plus.

I would invest my money in a new one, unless the compressor in under warrenty and transferable.

I own one and love it.

HTH

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 14

the compressor he says is in good working condition...I thought it'd be a good starter for me, because at the amount of cakes I do (only a few a month and from home) it's really more of hobby than business, so I can't really justify paying $200 + for a new one when I might not like it or be able to work it right, etc...what do you think?

tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with auntginn. Ebay has deals on them all the time. Did he say how old the compressor is?

Shirlcantuck Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 14

$30 isn't that much, but i have been looking to purchase an airbrush myself and i have found one on ebay for 119.00, gun, compressor, and 6-1 oz paints. There is also a set for 99, but no paint included. Maybe since you have to buy a new gun anyway, you should just start with an inexpensive new one. That way you know how it has been treated/handled. There were also guns for 17.77, it just depends on what kind of gun you want.

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 14

no but here's a picture:
LL

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 14

and another one
LL
LL

tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 14

That compressor is only $103 brand new http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes50204.htm
so unless it's only a year old I wouldn't pay $30 for it.

Shirlcantuck Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 14

Purchase new! Airbrush City on Ebay. They have lots of good deals.

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 14

thanks for your advice, guys...I'm bummed cause I thought is was such a steal! I'm going to go look at it anyway because he's also selling cake pans and supplies. If I end up getting it, or even if I buy it brand new, what type of brush should I get to go with it? (something affordable but good, like I said this is pretty much a hobby...)

auntginn Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 14

Now that we have seen the pics here is my opinion, fwiw. I still would buy new if you can afford it. I have seen complete sets as low as $69.00. The brush has to be replaced and it could run you $20-$30.00 and from the look of those colors, I personally would not use them. I would buy my own, which at $2-$3 each, your investment probably would not be worth it.

HTH

tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

Now that we have seen the pics here is my opinion, fwiw. I still would buy new if you can afford it. I have seen complete sets as low as $69.00. The brush has to be replaced and it could run you $20-$30.00 and from the look of those colors, I personally would not use them. I would buy my own, which at $2-$3 each, your investment probably would not be worth it.

HTH

I had the same thought about the colors, they look "nasty". If that's any indication of how he takes care of things I wouldn't want any of it.

auntginn Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #13 of 14

To learn and For practice buy one that is inexpensive. A good bargain deal from ebay will work. After you have gained some experiene and can afford to buy a uitlity power gun, then go for it.

The average cake person can use their gun for approx. 10 cakes per month and have it last for quite some time.

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

HTH

I had the same thought about the colors, they look "nasty". If that's any indication of how he takes care of things I wouldn't want any of it.

lol...good point

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%