Another "article":how To Start A Wedding Cake Busi

Business By kelleym Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 8:22pm by Bonnie151

kelleym Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 14

I ran across this today by accident. It's another in the genre of "anybody on the internet can publish anything about anything, whether they know anything about it or not".

http://www.ehow.com/how_4522212_start-wedding-cake-business.html

13 replies
costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:41am
post #2 of 14

I'll bet that the person who submitted the comment about there being good tips in the article is the person who wrote it icon_razz.gif I did get a good laugh at the part where it said that if you can basically ice a cake smooth you're pretty much golden.

sugarcheryl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 14

That article was a joke. Really if it was that so simple.

bizatchgirl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 14

I tried to comment but you must be a member and be logged in. Not worth that much hassle. What away to oversimplify things.

Does that mean if I go by some books, wood and hammers and try to nail a few things together that I can move on and build houses?

tiggy2 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:25am
post #5 of 14

Evidently they didn't check into getting legal before advertising or the ramification of copywrite laws on the character cakes. It just comfirms my belief that some people really don't have a clue!

indydebi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 14

DId you check out the other articles written by this same person? (Next to the article's "Step 1" ... More by this Author). Her expertise is phenomenal ... how to get crazy glue off of your fingers, how to make your lipstick last longer, how to start a wedding cake business. My goodness, I am in awe! icon_surprised.gif

She strikes me as someone who always wanted to write and this is the only way she can get "published". I hope she's enjoying telling all of her little friends "oh yes! I write articles for the 'net!" dunce.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 14

You can't let this crap stand. It only took seconds to register. I posted a comment and even flagged the article for incorrect facts.

cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 14

Yep, I did the same leahs! Appauling isn't it!

tiggy2 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 14

I think she forgot to mention the "fruitcake" was named after her icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 14

PS I'm MaggieMarlow. My interweb "nom de plume."

gottabakenow Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 14

she can't even spell "lose" right.

i don't want to know how to "loose" weight.

i think she needs to "loose" the right to contribute to this website.

(although there are probably other authors on there who write pretty much the same thing. i'm scared to look.)

gottabakenow Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 14

oh oh oh- her article is under the professionals category.

icon_surprised.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 14

I wish I could say this article shocked me, but seeing as how so many of these 'authors' (I use that term loosely... or should I say losely?) have the intelligence of broccoli, it doesn't quite amaze me that this article exists. These types of websites are filling people full of such garbage and we have almost NO recourse. I wonder how many people will follow the article, be hammered by the health department, and end up trying to sue her. Of course she'll say, "My advice was just a guideline... you're responsible for doing your own legwork on the details."

Honestly, how many of you started your cake business with 2 sets of pans and some piping bags???

Bonnie151 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 14

These articles are all nuts. From the point where I made the decision to launch a cake business it took me 18 months of planning. Now maybe I'm REALLY slow, but between finding out all of my local regulations and who I needed to inform (house insurance, car insurance etc), what the tax implications were (and attending workshops), working out my overall strategy and target market (and even if there were indeed a market!), pricing, advertising & PR strategy, finding a web host/building a web site, having enough photos to launch................... all the way to sorting out my kitchen, yeah, it was 18 months to launch, not the near overnight that articles like this imply. icon_rolleyes.gif

(ETA: though I should point out that I launched as a FT business from day 1 - I was lucky enough to have customers waiting for me to launch and I could have started up a PT business much more quickly, but still...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%