Need Creative Cupcake Recipes To Wow A Crowd, Please.

Decorating By mndy204 Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 2:59am by winsomebaker

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 111

Hi there! I'm making cupcakes to take to a New Year's Eve party and I really want to wow this crowd!! They are normally all about box cake mixes and I want to show them there's more out there (and hopefully get in good enough to make some future cakes for them icon_lol.gif ). Anyway, I was thinking about making pink champagne cupcakes or something like that (I think alcohol flavored would go over really well with this crowd, but it doesn't have to be).

Anyone have any ideas for a really "wow" cupcake recipe to bring in the New Year with a bunch of my friends?

Thank you for any and all help!!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh and P.S. I did do a search on this and didn't find much, but I also don't think I know how to search well yet. icon_redface.gif

110 replies
cakedecr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecr8r Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 111

I did some butter pecan cupcakes with egg nog buttercream, and they were a HIT!! And everyone loves the red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 111

Main Street Cupcakes is a great source of inspiration!

Check out the link below and download the pdf file...scroll down to the section called Sophisticated Confections.

http://www.mainstreetcupcakes.com/menu.htm#specialty

HTH!!

Stacey

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 111

Ok, I'm going to tell you a secret for amazing cupcakes. Bettercreme. If you aren't familiar with it, or for more info go here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193.html

If you can't get it in your area, there are alternatives, like a recipe for making a 'mock' version. Just let me know and I'll get you the info!! You can really knock these peeps on their tailfeathers with a little creative Bettercreme use. Seriously... no one has seen cupcakes like mine around here, I totally have the corner on the market. (And now I'm sharing it with all of you guys so I can get edged right out! Hahahah!)

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 111

I love bettercream. I get it at the sam's by my house. I was always afraid to try it untill I read that thread by Mel(BIG THANKS). Boy is it yummy!!!!

BTW Mel, I just noticed your signature...........I love that movie (=

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 111

Melvira, are you the one who posted the peanut butter cupcake recipe? If so, could you please post it again. Thanks.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 111

If you want something kind of interesting, with a WOW factor, you probably want some really cool flavor combonations. Red Velvet and Cream Cheese icing is always awesome. Southern Red Velvet Cake II on this site is what I use and it is absolutely amazing.
Flavor Combos:
Coconut and Lime - Coconut cupcake, cream cheese lime or lime infused buttercream icing, maybe with coconut on top. If you need a coconut cake recipe, pm me and I'll share mine (It got 2nd place in state fair)

Chocolate Hazelnut - Chocolate cupcake, filling/frosting made with half buttercream half nutella. You could even pop a little hazlenut inside each cuppy

GOOD carrot cupcakes - carrot cake is usually gross. Use a really good recipe, one with pineapple and maybe nuts so its more moist than the grocery store Cr*p.

Chocolate Cherry Rum - Add a bit of rum or rum flavoring and about a cup or so of drained cherries to your Chocolate cake recipe. you could add rum/rum flavor to buttercream or rum and chocolate and/or fill the cuppies with a cherry rum compote.

Orange Spice Cake - you can use your favorite vanilla/white cake recipe. Add the zest of one large orange and 2 or 3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. if the recipe has water, substitute some for orange juice. Use vanilla icing and top with zest.

Ok, those are my ideas! If you need coconut, vanilla or chocolate scratch cake recipes, I would be more than happy to share mine. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

Melvira, are you the one who posted the peanut butter cupcake recipe? If so, could you please post it again. Thanks.

Boy, I'm at a loss there... I don't think it was me, but is just as easily could have been! (Did I mention I am a TRUE blonde? Hehehe!)

Thanks to everyone who has thanked me for the Bettercreme thread, it is my pleasure to help you find amazing new ways to put on the pounds! All in my grand plan to make myself look thinner!! icon_twisted.gif For those of you who have requested the mock recipe... it is forthcoming... I just have to go figure out where I stored it!

mndy204 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 111

Oh, Melvira I've read up on this and would love to know more about this Bettercream!! How will I know if my Sam's Club sells it? Where would I find it at my Sam's? Oh and I'd love to try the mock version too especially if that's easier since New Year's is so close.

Thank you very much for your help!

mndy204 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 111
Quote:

Is this the recipe you were looking for? I was looking through the cupcake club recipes just last night and saw Melvira posted this one (I think, I couldn't find the link just now though): HTH!

Peanut Butter Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
courtesy Paula Deen

Yields 2 dozen

1 (18 1/2-ounce) package chewy fudge brownie mix (recommended: Duncan Hines)
1 (12-ounce) package peanut butter chips or 24 miniature peanut butter cups

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 regular muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.

Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Fill the cups half full with brownie batter. Place about 1 tablespoon peanut butter chips in the center of the batter, or press 1 peanut butter cup into the batter in each muffin cup until the batter meets the top edge of the peanut butter cup.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the cupcakes are set. When they can be handled safely, remove them from the muffin tins and let cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

Chocolate Ganache 1
by cheftaz

8 oz (240ml) cream
1 tbls butter (optional but makes it stay really shiny even after refrigerating)
1 oz sugar
12 oz (340 g) chocolate

Break chocolate into 1/2 oz pieces and place in stainless steel bowl
Heat cream, butter and sugar to boiling. Pour over chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. Stir from center out until smooth. After refrigerating 1 hour then fill your piping bag
Or use to ice your cake by pouring or spreading (allow to cool to room temp first)

I'm also going to add crumbled peanut butter cups on top of the ganache for a little decoration!

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndy204

Oh, Melvira I've read up on this and would love to know more about this Bettercream!! How will I know if my Sam's Club sells it? Where would I find it at my Sam's? Oh and I'd love to try the mock version too especially if that's easier since New Year's is so close.

The only way you can get it at Sam's is if you go to the bakery and they are willing to sell you a pail of the prewhipped stuff. They don't have the liquid. But, if you can't find the liquid, the prewhipped is the next best thing!!! You just use it a little differently!

mndy204 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

The only way you can get it at Sam's is if you go to the bakery and they are willing to sell you a pail of the prewhipped stuff. They don't have the liquid. But, if you can't find the liquid, the prewhipped is the next best thing!!! You just use it a little differently!

I'm calling my local Sam's Bakery now! icon_smile.gif YAY they sell the buckets of it!!! SCORE!!! party.gif Now. If I get some how long does it stay good once I've opened it? I saw on SugarCraft that they sell the stuff too..oooh wait that's the buckets, nevermind. icon_smile.gif I am soooo happy you suggested this Melvira! Now I'm going to have to make a ton of cakes and try it!! icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 111

Awesome!! I'm glad you found some! Now, you are going to want to keep it frozen unless you intend to do a billion cupcakes this week! It will last up to a year in the freezer if properly stored. Now, since most people can't fit that huge bucket in their freezer, you will probably want to break it down into smaller containers. Then just scoop out as much as you want to use and throw the container back in the freezer. Let it thaw a few minutes until you can stir it, then use it in a variety of ways that will knock people's socks off!!

I will say this again, I cannot stress this enough... no matter what flavors you make and take, consider chocolate malt for one of the flavors. People go absolutely bonkers for these. My sister doesn't even LIKE chocolate and she can't get enough of them!! I do devil's food cuppies, then mix some Bettercreme with Hershey's Whoppers Malt syrup for your filling. Then, either do a swirl of the malted Bettercreme on top, or even better... dip top in ganache and decorate with a little dollop of the Bettercreme and a malted milk ball. They are amazingly good! I promise you will have people beating a path to the plate to get another one!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:26am
post #14 of 111

Thanks Mndy204! That's the peanut butter cupcake recipe I need. And You'll love the Bettercreme. I buy mine at GFS. Melvira has almost everyone using Bettercreme.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:44am
post #15 of 111

Aw shucks... am I really that pushy? Um, I mean influential? Hehehe.

mndy204 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #16 of 111
Quote:

Thanks Mndy204! That's the peanut butter cupcake recipe I need. And You'll love the Bettercreme. I buy mine at GFS. Melvira has almost everyone using Bettercreme.

Oh I'm so glad that was the right one, you are very welcome! I'm really excited to try the Bettercreme out!! I'm using all bribing techniques I can with the hubby so he'll let me have some. thumbs_up.gif Can you flavor it and color it and all of that like regular buttercream? I need to plow through the rest of that thread Melvira did on it, I guess. icon_wink.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:55am
post #17 of 111

Bettercreme? You mean instead of regular buttercream? Or only as a filling? and people really like it?

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:18am
post #18 of 111

Tita... yes lady!! Instead of buttercream. People are going bonkers for it!!!

And yes, you can color and flavor it, but it only takes lighter colors. Nothing too vivid. Anyway, if you need more help with making amazing flavored stuff with the pre-whipped stuff, just let me know. The 'recipes' I've outlined in that thread utlize the liquid version, but I can easily tell you have to replace it with the prewhipped!

Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #19 of 111

Interesting! I always thought it tasted like sweetened styrofoam, but hey! If everyone else likes it why not?

Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #20 of 111

And NO MELVIRA! (I can hear your brain ticking away like a time bomb) I have never tasted sweetened styrofoam, I'm just saying...oh forget it! LOL!

mndy204 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:00am
post #21 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Tita... yes lady!! Instead of buttercream. People are going bonkers for it!!!

And yes, you can color and flavor it, but it only takes lighter colors. Nothing too vivid. Anyway, if you need more help with making amazing flavored stuff with the pre-whipped stuff, just let me know. The 'recipes' I've outlined in that thread utlize the liquid version, but I can easily tell you have to replace it with the prewhipped!

I'll for sure message you when I get it! I'm excited to know the different variations I can do...the chocolate one you told me about earlier still has me drooling! icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:04am
post #22 of 111

Hehehehe... yah, I was going there! Like when my husband says something he got at the cafeteria at work tasted like crap... I always ask him what his point of reference is. icon_razz.gif And don't even get me started on the time he chose the most unfortunate phrase and referred to something as tasting like d*ck. I just looked at him with the most straight face and said "I'd like to hear more about your experience with eating that." Ten shades of purple later he managed to explain that it was a poor choice of verbiage. I apologize to anyone who may find that language a bit too harsh or graphic for their liking, but he is fond of using odd sayings like that and it seemed to fit the conversation here. icon_rolleyes.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #23 of 111

I just found out that I can purchase the prewhipped Bettercreme from our Sam's Club. Melvira, I would love to hear your suggestions on how to flavor the prewhipped. Wow, that would be so convenient to be able to purchase a bucket and then flavor it to whatever flavor you need at the time. Thanks so much for any suggestions you have to offer.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:07am
post #24 of 111
Quote:

I'll for sure message you when I get it! I'm excited to know the different variations I can do...the chocolate one you told me about earlier still has me drooling! icon_razz.gif

Please do, I'm happy to help. And seriously... the malted chocolate... to die for. I've not had one person ever tell me they didn't like it. My mother who is addicted to coconut flavored anything actually chose the malted chocolate as her favorite over the coconut!

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #25 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

I just found out that I can purchase the prewhipped Bettercreme from our Sam's Club. Melvira, I would love to hear your suggestions on how to flavor the prewhipped. Wow, that would be so convenient to be able to purchase a bucket and then flavor it to whatever flavor you need at the time. Thanks so much for any suggestions you have to offer.

Ok, I will type up my suggestions for how to use the pre-whipped and then post it somewhere, or PM it to you or something!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:20am
post #26 of 111

Melvira, you are too kind. Thank you so very much for taking the time to do that. I for one cannot thank you enough and I think I can speak for everyone when I say that you are so appreciated here on CC.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:27am
post #27 of 111

You'd better stop it... I easily get attached to people who talk nicely to me. Just ask Fiddlesticks! Hehehehe. icon_lol.gif

Ok, here is some info for those of you who have finally found the prewhipped stuff!! Woooo! Yay! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6195920.html#6195920

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:29am
post #28 of 111

Well Queen Mel of Bettercreme there you go again pushing your product !
You forgot to metion that you are getting kickbacks !!!! he he ! Im so kidding !! And yes this stuff is amazing /delicious way past yummy!
Yes try the malt flavor, Its fantastic !

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:33am
post #29 of 111

Ok, that was creepy... was she in this thread earlier, or did she just sense that I'd used her name? Shhhh... no one move... let's just see what she does. Hehehe.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:40am
post #30 of 111

Ok, that was creepy... he he !!! Just say my name and I appear ! I must be from your ghost thread !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%