Need Advice??

Decorating By valvara Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 12:15am by AmyGonzalez

valvara Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 6

When you guys started the cake business . Did you guys ever doubt that this was the right thing to do . Did you guys ever felt like just let it to the side ?

Need help , I love to bake , But sometimes I feel like this is not for me , maybe because I'm doing this all by myself , I'm a single mother I don't have much income to put in this and I'm a full time worker.

I really love this and is my dreams to become professional and have my own bakery . But I fell so lonley sometimes ?

Please advice??? icon_sad.gif

5 replies
beth2027 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 6

I don't own a business. For now, I just do this whole cake thing for fun. If your dream is to own your own bakery, then you have to start working towards it, but I also understand your need to work a job to raise your child.
Have you thought about taking a class at a time. Maybe a business class here or there and some pastry/cake classes also. You don't have to do it all at once.
Also, depending on your state, you can get a license for a home bakery and do it just part time for a while. At the point you are ready to go full-time and/or open a shop, you'll know it. And you won't be stressed.

kakeladi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

The thing most of us lack is good, sound business knowledge! Take as many classes as you can in that line. Enjoy making that occasional cake to keep up your interest and knowledge. When you are getting requests for cakes - more than one a week - look into doing it as a business.
In the mean time.......read all the posts on this site (& others) so you can learn from other's mistakes and knowledge.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

Sometimes I doubt whether I really want to be doing this... when business is slow, or when I feel I am being underpaid (my own fault I guess) for something. I wonder whether I should just stop. But, I always manage to remind myself that 1. I love this. and 2. I'm pretty good at it. Those two things are enough to get me through the doubt. If you are ever feeling lonely, all you have to do is jump on here and share your feelings. We are here to talk you down from the ledge, so to speak. We've all felt what you're feeling (more than likely) and are more than happy to hold your hand and pat you on the back. Keep your chin up, believe in yourself, and do what your heart tells you!

valvara Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 6

I thank you all for your help and support I really need to hear nice words . And thank you too for letting me know your here for me . I'm going to take your (s) advice . I have been taking classes of cake decor and I will look here around my are for new ones that can help me get better . Thank you again and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Viridiana Alvarado

AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

I think we all feel like that sometimes. It gets overwhelming. The worst thing you can do is give up. Take it slow and I'm sure with every cake you make you will get stronger and it will come a little easier. I've been making cakes for 2 years now and let me tell you I have thought about giving up many times, but everyone tells me I'm too talented to give up.
I just decided to keep my full time job as a nurse for now and do cakes occasionally and see what happens from there, but I'm not going to give up and if thats your dream you should not either. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%