Does Anyone Use Powdered Food Coloring?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 7:33pm by gales

justfrosting Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 8

I saw these on AB's show over the weekend.

Can you use them in BC, RI, Fondant?

They looked so cool on TV.

7 replies
justfrosting Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 8
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 8

I like powdered color mostly for chocolate. When you use it in other mediums like royal or buttercream you just want to make sure you don't have any teeny tiny color clumps so it gets mixed really really well.

For example add the powder to a tablespoon of icing so that you can smush it and smush it to be sure it is combined then add it to the bigger batch.

Powdered color is cool.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8

But I have it mostly for the chocolate and use it as back up if needed for something else and I'm out of regular color.

justfrosting Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the info. They looked so neat on TV

gales Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 8

I prefer to use powdered colour for painting on cakes, just mix it with a clear alcohol like vodka that evaporates in the air and so doesn't leave any taste or anything on the cake. I also use this method for getting bold colour on to children's cakes instead of using deeply coloured sugarpaste, but do not know how it works with bc.

gales Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 8

[quote="gales"]I prefer to use powdered colour for painting on cakes, just mix it with a clear alcohol like vodka that evaporates in the air and so doesn't leave any taste or anything on the cake. I also use this method for getting bold colour on to children's cakes instead of using deeply coloured sugarpaste, but do not know how it works with bc

gales Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 8

I prefer to use powdered colour for painting on cakes, just mix it with a clear alcohol like vodka that evaporates in the air and so doesn't leave any taste or anything on the cake. I also use this method for getting bold colour on to children's cakes instead of using deeply coloured sugarpaste, but do not know how it works with bc.[/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%