Chocolate Cake & Icing Plus Fondant

Decorating By brunette_1977 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 6:27am by ceshell

brunette_1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brunette_1977 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

It'll be my first time doing fondant and my the dear bf wants, chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Can I put a thicker layer of chocolate fudge buttercream before putting the fondant layer on? Would it be too sweet? Any hints would be helpful....I'm a fondant first-timer..

3 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #2 of 4

u could use chocolate fondants over chocolate icing that would definatly be chocolate chocolate chocolate cake. but it should be fine if your white fondant is thick enough so the chocolate doesn't show through.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 4

I've had difficulties when I put a thick layer of buttercream on before the fondant (fondant slid down a little), but I think I've seen posts from more experienced decorators that have said this can be okay to do. I guess you could always fill between your layers a little more to amp up the chocolate flavor. The only tip I would have is to consider the color of fondant you are laying over top of your buttercream. If it's a light-colored fondant, you'll want a light-colored buttercream for your crumb coat.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:27am
post #4 of 4

I agree that you can easily cover a chocolate cake with fondant, just make the fondant thick enough to obscure the color underneath. Many decorators here do indeed use a "normal" layer of buttercream, but I think that is a trick that comes with experience, as too much icing underneath your fondant can just squish out the bottom. Chilling til the icing is firm (before applying the fondant) helps, but as the icing comes to room temp you might find your nice sharp edges buckling under the fondant. Of course a sturdy frosting would minimize this...like a whipped ganache...mmm!

I solve the problem by torting both layers, resulting in a 4-layer cake with 3 layers of filling. Want a lot of icing? Then make all of the fillings "icing." For a normal amount of icing, fill 2 layers with your filling, and one layer with your icing. So...your icing is IN your cake instead of on top. My coat under the fondant is enough to eat but not enough to satisfy people who only eat cake for the icing icon_wink.gif, thus the center icing layer.

I wouldn't worry about the fondant on top of icing being "too sweet" - a lot of people don't actually eat the fondant anyway. Even when it's good fondant! It's a texture thing. But it sure does look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%