Question For All Who Have Taken A Wilton Class

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm by TheLadybugCook

Amalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amalia Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm
post #31 of 38

Congratulations and best wishes on your new adventure as a WMI! I have been teaching for 8 years and have been enriched by my experiences teaching. Like so others have said, it is amazing to see the transformation some students go through in class. Many good suggestions have been posted and my advice is to work your class program from the inside-out. You should put up flyers in the store, do paid demos, make displays (you also get paid for these), plan your schedule of classes 3-6 months in advance, etc. I think however, that the most important thing is to market your classes in the store to the employees. They do not train employees on Wilton or the registration process. You will find many of the employees don't even know that classes are offered. No mater who is in charge of the registration book, make sure all the cashiers know how to register customers for classes. "Sell" the classes to the employees. Make sure they know about the classes and ask them to tell the customers. They can be your best tool or your worst barrier to getting customers to sign up for classes. More than likely you will spend a limited amount of time in the store as the WMI. If you are also the EC, you might have more time but I am sure they will keep you busy. When you are not there the other employees can be your best asset in advertising your classes in the store.

Please also check Yahoo Groups for WiltonMI for a group of WMI's from all over the World. It's a great place for help, advice and to relate your experiences as a WMI. It is not affiliated with Wilton or any of it accounts other than we all teach Wilton classes.

Amalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amalia Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #32 of 38

Congratulations and best wishes on your new adventure as a WMI! I have been teaching for 8 years and have been enriched by my experiences teaching. Like so others have said, it is amazing to see the transformation some students go through in class. Many good suggestions have been posted and my advice is to work your class program from the inside-out. You should put up flyers in the store, do paid demos, make displays (you also get paid for these), plan your schedule of classes 3-6 months in advance, etc. I think however, that the most important thing is to market your classes in the store to the employees. They do not train employees on Wilton or the registration process. You will find many of the employees don't even know that classes are offered. No mater who is in charge of the registration book, make sure all the cashiers know how to register customers for classes. "Sell" the classes to the employees. Make sure they know about the classes and ask them to tell the customers. They can be your best tool or your worst barrier to getting customers to sign up for classes. More than likely you will spend a limited amount of time in the store as the WMI. If you are also the EC, you might have more time but I am sure they will keep you busy. When you are not there the other employees can be your best asset in advertising your classes in the store.

Please also check Yahoo Groups for WiltonMI for a group of WMI's from all over the World. It's a great place for help, advice and to relate your experiences as a WMI. It is not affiliated with Wilton or any of it accounts other than we all teach Wilton classes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyBecca

I have another question that just popped up. What do you do when one of your classes falls on a holiday, or you are unavailable for one of the classes?

I just push those classes until the next week. It catches back up on the calendar since some months have 5 Saturdays, or what ever day it is.

If it is a holiday, I will either start the class a week earlier to plan for it or just finish it a week later. Sometimes I will reschedule for another day, but only when I have a few students and we can agree on a day. Most people sign up on a certian night, so I hate to switch it unless I have too.

In December, I actually fast track Course 1 and the F/GP Course. I schedule each Course twice a week. Like this Dec I did Fondant/Gumpaste on Monday and Thursday and Course 1 on Tues and Fridays. I wouldn't do this all the time, because it is alot of work for them. But I leave town two days after Christmas and that is the best way I could figure out how to do it, still teach and have time to get ready for Christmas and the trip.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:23am
post #34 of 38

I know you've gotten a bunch of replies already, but I'll go ahead and add my two cents icon_smile.gif. I agree with most of what is already on here.

I took my first Wilton class at Hobby Lobby b/c they had a big sign posted at the entrance saying it was offered. I've been to plenty of other places that probably offered the classes too, but I never knew about it. A big sign helps draw in those customers that already come into the store. Also, be sure to point out the specials Wilton is offering at that time, 1/2 off etc.

I liked my classes to be in the evening. Mine were at 6, which was a bit too early. I always had to take everything to work with me and then rush to class after work. 7 would be more ideal. Or maybe Saturday morning if the store opens fairly early. You may want to avoid weds. That seems to be a big church night.

I wish my courses had been twice a week. (Either 1/2 lesson each night for 4 weeks, or 1 lesson each for 2 weeks.) I feel like taking a week in between was tough, because it was easy to forget questions or problems over the week.

I loved the small classes, 4-6 people.

Good luck!

michel0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel0730 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #35 of 38

I'll be taking Course 1 this weekend at Michaels. I love to bake but I'm not much of a decorator. I hope to learn a whole lot. I wanted to answer your questions because every little bit helps. icon_biggrin.gif

1. What were the things you liked about your Wilton Courses? I'm currently taking the course although I did like that they offered 50% of the class and also you get discounts on items purchased in their store.

2. What were the things you didn't like? None so far but since I haven't started yet I would be disappointed if the instructor wasn't a very good one.

3. What days/times should I schedule the classes to attract the most people? I work during the week. I prefer Friday night, Saturday and/or Sunday. It's just tough during the week especially when I've got kids to care for in the evenings.

4. What are some ways I could draw interest in a program that has been poorly run for over 4 years, in an area that isn't very wealthy? Advertise in the store or post in your local newspaper. Place flyers in public places such as the library or area businesses.

5. I have yet to receive my info from Wilton and this question may very well be answered in that, but just in case, what does it mean to do a demo? What do they entail? Sorry, I can't help you there but best of luck to ya!

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #36 of 38

A related question:

I just started as a WMI in November, and I"m only available to teach 2 nights a week (and I'm the only WMI at my store). So each month I offer course 1, and then rotate through 2, 3, and FGP. I expressed concern to my supervisor that I was going to lose people if they had to wait to continue on, and she said they don't have to take the classes in order after they've taken course 1.

Has anyone run their courses this way? Are your students successful?

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #37 of 38

Well sure. I have people jump around fairly frequently, especially those C1 grads who are eager to tackle fondant. Courses 2, 3, and FGP do not build on each other so C1 grads are free to take the advanced courses in whatever order they like. I also run mine in this order: C1, C2, FGP, then C3 for those who want to take them "in order." I teach FGP before C3 so they have a great understanding of fondant and have all of their fondant tools in order to create a really spectacular C3 grand finale cake.

TheLadybugCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLadybugCook Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #38 of 38

icon_biggrin.gif I took courses 1& 2 over the last 8 months or so. I want very much to take course 3 but it is always on Sunday - the only day I could not go. It stinks because I bought everything for course 3.
It would help to have a choice of days at least!
As for instruction my teacher was good. As a total newbie I learned a great deal. If I could add anything it would be more instruction (just a little I realize this is not a pastry class) on the baking end of things as we are not just using a mix and 13 x 9 pans.
I hope this was helpful and wish you good luck. I admire you so you go girlfriend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%