How Do I Make Large Chocolate Curls?

Decorating By km100256 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 4:45am by Someonesmommy

km100256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
km100256 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 4

I need to make large chocolate curls to cover a 4 tiered chocolate birthday cake. What is the best way to do it and what type of chocolate to use? Any suggestions.....????

3 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:28am
post #2 of 4

You can use melting chocolate (like Sam's Ghiridelli's or even candy melts) and then melt it, pour it out on a clean surface like a very clean countertop or the backside of a perfectly flat pan or sheet pan....make sure its poured pretty thinly....and then as it gets firm (not rock hard but room temp firm) you can scrape it into curls with a bench scraper or some otherwise firm, sharp spatula. It does take the right consistency of chocolate and a little practice....somebody else may have a better way but that's how we did it at the caterer's I worked at. Good luck!

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #3 of 4

I just get a piece from a 10 lb brick of real chocolate and microwave it until it is soft but not melted then shave it with a vegetable peeler. It works great with white, milk, or dark.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:45am
post #4 of 4

When I worked at Godiva we would just warm up a brick of chocolate just to about room temp and use a vegtable peeler. Milk and white chocolate was the easiest to do but I could never get the dark chocolate to not splinter and crack on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%