Spreading With Spatula Instead Of Flooding?

Baking By banananutmuffin Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm by Peeverly

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

So I am a cookie newbie. My first batch was stars (too ambitious!) that I outlined and then tried to flood with Toba's glace.

The second batch was a flower. Instead of outlining, I just poured a puddle in the center and then spread the glace to the edges with a small spatula.

The spreading technique seemed to work better for me (cleaner edges, closer to edge of cookie without overflow) than the outline/flood. Although the shape of the cookie may have been a factor, too.

My question: Are there any advantages to flooding over spreading? Can you think of a circumstance in which flooding would be preferable? Does anyone else "spread" glace?

Thanks for all your thoughts!

4 replies
liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 5

i'm not sure...i tried to do the outline/flood technique once and it didn't flood too well....so here's a bump instead!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

banana: As long as your outline is thick enough, you should be able to flood with TG, just make sure it isn't too runny. There was a thread here that someone explained it well. I think the outline is drizzle dissapears around count to ten, and flood dissapears at count to three to five. You may want to look this up. Another tip, you may want to start with Antonia's RI, as some find it easier to work with, then move on to TG. I like them both.
Good Luck!

Lindakbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindakbh Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

I have tried both ways and find that spreading with a spatula works best for me. It's much faster and easier than it seems like it would be, even on intricate cookies. After they are base-coated and dried, then I use piping to decorate.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 5

I've tried all the techniques out there! For me, I use royal icing but I have used Toba's before. For me, what works the best is to outline with royal (or toba's ) then I spread the flooding consistency icing on the cookie. I use a very small spatula. I've tried the squeeze bottle the pastry bags with a number 5 tip but this way works the best for me. I just can't stand putting all those colors into the separate bags or squeeze bottles. I just put them into different tupperware container and spoon the icing out or use the spatula to take it out and put it on the cookie. Works for me! I think you will experiment and find what it best for you! Good luck and i hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%