Silver And Gold Dragees

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 7:04am by Someonesmommy

MBHazel Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 5

Hi All!!!

Are any of you aware of silver and gold dragees available in the US that are FDA approved as food safe? The ones I see available are "decoration only" products. If you use the decoration only ones are you advising people to remove them, or what??

4 replies
katwomen1up Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:01am
post #2 of 5

The only ones I've seen are not FDA approved, yes advise them to remove them.

msulli10 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:10am
post #3 of 5

Global sugar arts sells dragees and they claim to be edible. Check out their website.

ceshell Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:52am
post #4 of 5

Actually G S A states that "all metallic gold & silver dragees are decorative items and are not to be consumed."

Here's a recent thread about the buggers with a few links to outside stories about why stores won't sell dragees in California.

In Europe they are considered edible. Still, now that I know they are not FDA approved, I don't think I would feel comfortable putting, say, 25 dragees on a cookie when I know they'd all be eaten; but I wouldn't really worry about someone consuming, say, TWO!

Someonesmommy Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:04am
post #5 of 5

Well, I ate them all the time when I was a child as my grandmother was an avid user of them on all of her cakes, and I to this day haven't grown a third arm and neither have my children!

This has got to be like the thing with laboratory animals getting cancer from artificial sweetners, but I read somewhere that in order for it to be a threat to humans we'd have to eat bathtubs full of the stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%