Thinning Confectioners Glaze?

Decorating By Price Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 7:45pm by Spooky_789

Price Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I hope everyone had a great holiday!

For those of you who use confectioners glaze. Can I thin it with everclear or can it only be thinned using the Confectioners Glaze Thinner?

Also I don't have any of the Confectioners Glaze Thinner here, is there anything else I can use to clean the brush when I'm done?

Thanks in advance.

10 replies
DianeLM Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:36am
post #2 of 11

I don't know if anything other than glaze thinner will work.

Why not do what I do? Buy 12 for $1 paintbrushes, pour your glaze into a paper cup, then throw the whole mess away when you're through. Much easier than futzing with glaze thinner.

BTW, why do you want to thin your glaze? I've never heard of that technique.

Hope you had a great holiday too!

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:52am
post #3 of 11

I was taught to thin confectioner's glaze with Everclear, so it's the only way I do it (50/50, usually).

You're right, cleaning brushes is a problem and a mess. I like the throwaway approach, too.

Price Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the info. I'm currently working on a long term project. I want to make my board shiney. I used Conf. glaze for the first time a couple of weeks ago on the cake board for my penguin cake. The glaze was a little thick and it showed my brush strokes and wasn't real smooth. I'm hoping that by thinning the glaze it will give it alot better finish without showing the brush strokes as much.

ibmoser Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 11

You can buy edible spray lacquer - IMHO reasonably priced. Mine was purchased at ISAC but is made by Chef Rubber. Very easy to control "thickness" of the application, and no brush strokes.

brincess_b Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 11

you can use a type of alcohol - i *think* its isopropyl alcohol? in the uk, its only available from chemists, and it isnt food safe, its just for things that arent going to get eaten i think. dont know how to be any more vague really, sorry. but maybe you could try it out with regular vodka?

Price Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks, This weekend I plan to try thinning 50/50 with the Everclear and see how it goes. (I would think it should be about the same as using the vodka or alcohol. I'll let you know how it goes.

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:57am
post #8 of 11

I think you'll find that with the very high content of alcohol in the Everclear (much more than most cheap, clear vodkas or gins), that it will dry quickly and hopefully with fewer streaks or bumps.

As for the isopropyl alcohol, it obviously isn't for anything that would be eaten, and ideally, not for something edible that will come in contact with it.

I know that the alcohol evaporates, but the issue would be more the impurities that would be left behind. Here in the US, sometimes you can find 91% isopropyl, and for a dummy, it could be a very cheap substitute.

ChefRubber Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #9 of 11

use "glaze wash" (mod edited for content) it is pure food grade alchol

CakesByLJ Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by ChefRubber

use "glaze wash" (mod edited for content) it is pure food grade alchol

Welcome to CC ChefRubber... icon_biggrin.gif I just love your shop.. go there every time I am in Vegas thumbs_up.gif *puzzled about the editing* icon_confused.gif

Spooky_789 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, I know this is an old post, but it kind of addresses my question.  When I bought the glaze, I also bought the thinner, but I also bought some Everclear.  I know that if for some reason, I need to clean a brush, or I accidentally spill some of the glaze, I can use the thinner to clean it up.

Per Nicholas Lodge's instructions, I used the a 50/50 mix for glazing the tulip and peony leaves.  However, for making flowers or other leaves or edible (technically) art, when would it be better to use the thinner rather than Everclear, to thin the glaze?  Or is Everclear the best route to take for thinning the glaze?

Thanks for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%