Help!!! Im Having Withdrawals!!

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 1:12pm by GeminiRJ

Someonesmommy Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 3:22am
post #1 of 17

I don't have anymore cakes to make since the holidays are over and I think Im on the verge of having a fit! I've been her on CC all day trying to get my fix and its just not helping!

I'm really the only cake eater here so I'd hate to waste a cake just to get my decorating fix. And I really don't have the extra money to do one just for the heck of it.

Does anyone else get like this? What do you do?

16 replies
sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 17

Buy some cake dummies, or make bows or gumpaste flowers or something that you can have on hand for your next cake order.

veejaytx Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 17

If the OP doesn't have extra money for cake, she probably doesn't have extra money for cake dummies either.

Some CC members have posted about decorating on the bottom and sides of a cake pan, some cover the pan with clear wrap or foil, that way they can re-use the icing if they need to.

If you were in withdrawal on Saturday, you must be in really bad shape today with CC down for maintenance for several hours...hope you are okay! LOL

JGMB Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 17

I feel your pain, because I sort of have the same problem. I need TONS of practice, since I'm new at this. There are only 2 of us at home, though, so how many cakes can we possibly eat? Well, I could eat one a day myself, but I shouldn't!!!! How am I ever going to get better if I only make the occasional cake? I guess I'll have to just work on a practice board.

CNCS Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 17

Been there!!! I even got desperate enough to take contact paper and wrapped up 2 1 inch x 8 inch foam circles I had on hand for a flower arrangement. Liked that and went to walmart and got the rectangle ones. Just covered them well with contact paper and scraped off the icing and took a damp paper towel to clean it up.

sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 17

I do the same thing, CNCS, except I use Saran Wrap so I can just tear it off and throw it away. Great idea about the contact paper! icon_smile.gif

rvercher23 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 17

I just went through withdrawls.....for a week and a half so I was really excited to do a wedding cake this week. My husband thinks I am a dork. Oh, well.....But i have alot of cake dummies lying around so I can do one if I want, my only problem is that I don't like to clean up the mess I make for a dummy cake!!!!!

vickymacd Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 17

OMG, I've been having withdrawls from this site being down! I missed it so much! Cakes, no bother.....no posting and checking in on everyone....going nuts!! Glad it's back up.

tracycakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:46am
post #9 of 17

December has been crazy for me and everyone else I'm sure. I came down with this stupid cold just 2 days before doing a wedding cake for Dec. 20. My husband's family was coming to our house for Christmas for the first time ever and we had a bathroom that we updated before they came. I turned down 2 cakes for December because I was swamped. I just felt like December was a blur.

So, last night as I was trying to go to sleep, what was I doing instead, lying in bed planning cakes for OSSAS next year!! I was going to take a cake break and instead, I'm planning cakes for 9 months out! What a dork!! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:56am
post #10 of 17

I've been recovering from surgery and then have had NO cake orders (and NONE so far in Jan!!!!)....I did one small round cake for a friend last weekend and that's it.

Luckily I was able to bake some goodies for Christmas and that helped. I guess what I do when I'm having withdrawal is not necessarily decorate something, but bake some treats....make cookies and freeze them in baggies for the kids, or try a dessert or something. Dig some cake leftovers out of the freezer and try cake balls?

I'm getting a new oven this week (Best Buy has 18 months no interest!) and its a very large capacity and it will have three racks.....regular bake plus true convection.....so I'll have to start trying out some cookies and stuff and get the feel for it!

Good luck, you'll get more orders soon! And then you'll want a break! haha I know I'm like that!

chassidyg Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:03am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

OMG, I've been having withdrawls from this site being down! I missed it so much! Cakes, no bother.....no posting and checking in on everyone....going nuts!! Glad it's back up.

Hey, your son just got home, quit checking in on us, and go spend time with him!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Hope you had a wonderful Christmas together!!!!!!!!!

Someonesmommy Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #12 of 17

I just got really interested in cake decorating in November when I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to make a cake for my parents anniversary, so I havent had any cake orders. I really need to practice (as you can tell from my photos) before I'd feel comfortable with having someone pay for a cake.

I did find some leftover Wilton fondant from my parents cake (this was before I had heard of MMF and was why it was hiding in the back of my pantry) and went on a hunt around the house for something I could decorate and found some foam circles for flowers in my craft closet.

Never did get a chance to play around with it today cause the kids were up my butt and couldn't go play outside with all the rain. But I did get my pantry and craft closet cleaned out and organized!

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #13 of 17

I go through that, also. I do cakes for friends and family and it's not enough at the moment to keep me busy. It's not as if I don't have a busy enough schedule as it is, but this is actually something I want to do. I daydream about fabulous designs, etc. I do have two birthdays coming up in January that I'll be doing the cakes for. No money, but good practice. That's what I need right now! I need to invest in some cake dummies.

Lisa

TexasSugar Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:21am
post #14 of 17

What about some Royal Icing or Air Dry buttercream flowers? They can always be saved and used later. Gumpaste Roses or any other flowers you have been dying to try, but can't find the time when you have cake orders. Fondant/Gumpaste Critters?

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 17

I'm leaving tomorrow morning at the butt crack of dawn to drive 22 hours to Arizona to visit my folks. I'll be gone a total of nine days. No cakes...no cookies. I'm already going into withdrawal. I've been hammered with cake and cookie orders all month, so you'd think I'd be happy for a break. Instead, I'm trying to think of a way to sneak my decorating toys into the car so my husband won't see them!

vickymacd Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:06pm
post #16 of 17

chass~ yep, son home but his girlfriend is important too. He's been spending some time with her and she lives about 2 hours away.
Fine with me as long as he's still states bound.

Gemini~ where in AZ? That's where my whole family lives.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:12pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

chass~ yep, son home but his girlfriend is important too. He's been spending some time with her and she lives about 2 hours away.
Fine with me as long as he's still states bound.

Gemini~ where in AZ? That's where my whole family lives.

My parents live in Green Valley. Other relatives live in Chandler and Scottsdale. I hope to get to the Hard Rock in Phoenix over the weekend, but who knows what our schedule will be like. There will be 11 of us descending on my parents for a belated Christmas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%