Can Anyone Help Me?

Decorating By alliebear Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 3:07am by kandu001

alliebear Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 11

hey everyone
it seems i am on a never-ending search for a good scratch vanilla cake recipe. i have tried soo many and didn't like one of them. i am looking for a cake thats moist but slightly dense and perfect for carving or stacking. i would love to hear of any suggestions or any recipes that are tried and true. i would love a go-to cake recipe.

10 replies
alliebear Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 11

anyone?

alliebear Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 11

no one?

kakeladi Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 11

It's not a scratch recipe but my *original* WASC recipe matches perfectly your requirementsicon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 11

Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake --it comes out white--just google the recipe..

I do not separate the eggs I just use them altogether but I only use two yolks.

It is awesome and if you chill it it needs to be microzapped (in the microwave) to loosen back up.

alliebear Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 11

thanks everyone i am sick and tired of testing recipes only to find they taste like cardboard and have the texture of wool. i would just like a recipe thats moist and flavorful and consistant. grr i hate wasting my time and money on recipes that dont turn out/

sweet_teeth Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 11

I just tried Vanilla Butter Cake from the Mermaid Bakery.. the recipe is on this site.. and it turned out pretty well. Good consistancy and it was pretty moist. I used real buttermilk opposed to the milk and vinegar called for on the recipe.

Overall, I'd deff make it again, but I think it needs a tad bit more flavor. Someone suggested adding 1tsp creme bouquet and 1tsp vanilla, for an added flavor boost.

Hope that helps!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I just tried Vanilla Butter Cake from the Mermaid Bakery.. the recipe is on this site.. and it turned out pretty well. Good consistancy and it was pretty moist. I used real buttermilk opposed to the milk and vinegar called for on the recipe.

Overall, I'd deff make it again, but I think it needs a tad bit more flavor. Someone suggested adding 1tsp creme bouquet and 1tsp vanilla, for an added flavor boost.

Hope that helps!

We make these cookies with the soured milk made from apple cider vinegar & milk and they're just not the same without it.

I just want to recommend to you tp try this cake with the soured milk--although I've never tried it myself but the appley vinegar gives a nice snap of flavor that extracts can't provide.

Just a (flavor) snappy thought for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 11

A lot of the outcomes in scratch recipes is the technique.

Mike

Henna20 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #10 of 11

I second the Vanilla Butter Cake from the Mermaid Bakery. I just made it and i love it! Good luck!

kandu001 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:07am
post #11 of 11

I use WASC. It's not entirely scratch, but it's moist and stackable and carvable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%