Help Finding A Cake Item

Decorating By DanielleRG Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm by DanielleRG

DanielleRG Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #1 of 6

I have to make my nephew's 1st birthday cake in February. My sister wants one like the one she had when she turned 1. It was a horse carousel that probably would have been a wilton topper from the 1970s. It was a topper that went on a round cake. Anyone know where to find one or something similar? Or any suggestions? HELP!!!!

Thanks, Danielle

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #3 of 6

Is it the one with the striped tent top and each animal had a hole through it top to bottom so that a straw threaded through the animal and one end of the straw hooked up to the holes in the striped tent top and you set the tent top onto the straws and you put a flag in each straw to hold the tent top on and the other end of the straw went into the cake.

That one? I think you can still get it like from Decopak or a commercail bakery.

It's really a cool topper and you could actually make it.

DanielleRG Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 6

Indydebi -- No that one is too modern and doesn't have a top.

k8memphis -- Yes that is what I am looking for. I will try your suggestions. How would I make it if I couldn't find it?

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 6
Originally Posted by DanielleRG

How would I make it if I couldn't find it?

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!!!!

You gotta find or make some animals that you can put a hole through.

(Start with newspaper) Then can you cut out a circle of heavy paper like a cardstock with a small pie slice cut out of it? Then tape the cut edges together to make a little tent top?

So cut it back apart so it lays flat and draw the stripes on. Re-tape it. Well probably use it for a template because you're gonna have to diddle with this a bit to get the right proportions.

The tent top would be cool with a scalloped edge.

Gather up some straws--make sure they are long enough.

Poke holes in the tent top to correspond to the animals.

There's a good 6-8 animals.

You'll need to buy or make flags with toothpicks for the flag poles that get inserted into the ends of the straws though the holes in the tent top. That it all together.

You just gotta probably make the tent top from a circle that's 10" big--you're gonna need to diddle with the proportions a bit. So start with newspaper.

Geez I've put together tons of these things. I bet you can still get it from a grocery store or bakery maybe.

So come to think of it there's a straw in the middle too with a flag.

DanielleRG Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

k8memphis -- Thanks for the instructions. I will start practicing now and maybe I will get it figured out by Feb.

I will check my local grocery stores too. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%