Vanilla Butter Cake From The Mermaid Bakery

Baking By sweet_teeth Updated 9 Jul 2015 , 12:12am by efatrie

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebear

im also on a search for good scratch recipes it seems there are so many out there and its hard to know which ones are keepers and which ones are duds. i was wondering if anybody has tried this recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Davids-Yellow-Cake/Detail.aspx. it has gotten good reviews but you never know.

I've tried the recipe, and its great. Granted I haven't tried too many recipes, but I already made this one a keeper. Loved eating it plain icon_razz.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #32 of 37

I love the Mermaid Bakery's vanilla cake! I think it has lots of flavor. Are you using real vanilla? I don't know if that matters or not; some say it does, some say it doesn't. I use milk/vinegar for buttermilk.

jillyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyb Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #33 of 37

So with the mermaid bakery recipe do you sub with cake flour if so how much? What is proper conversion for subbing all purpose flour to cake flour and vise versa?

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #34 of 37

Have the same question as jillyb, do you sub cake flour in this recipe for a better cake? If you do, what is the particulars of subbing?
Thanks, P

efatrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efatrie Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 6:01am
post #35 of 37

Hi! Has anyone tried tinting the mermaid bakery vanilla cake before? Since it's a yellow cake, I was wondering about using coloring - I wanted to make a rainbow cake version of it! Thanks in advance!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 4:28pm
post #36 of 37
efatrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efatrie Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 12:12am
post #37 of 37

Thanks craftybanana2!

I made the cake into different layers. Only coloring the purple do I had problem - it turned into ashy grey lol.

However I also realised the cake dips in the middle, which I had never experienced while making thicker layers in the past. I was supposed to stack the cakes together for a 2-tier star wars cake. Thankfully it held up quite well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%