Best Advice Given.......

Decorating By NuttyNanny Updated 8 Apr 2017 , 1:33am by aldonza

NuttyNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuttyNanny Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 26

Don't know if this topic has ever come up, but I just wanted to know if anyone wanted to share their best baking advice that someone gave them. Mine was..."If ya' don't get it right the first time, try again". Thanks in advance to anyone who shares.

25 replies
Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 26

"It's cake, they're going to love it no matter what it looks like!"
My Darling Fiance to me when he sees I'm in tears over my ugly cake.
(Toxic Margarita in my Pics)

Great post BTW!

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 26

"It's cake, they're going to love it no matter what it looks like!"
My Darling Fiance to me when he sees I'm in tears over my ugly cake.
(Toxic Margarita in my Pics)

Great post BTW!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 26

You are your own worst critic. No one else will notice all those mistakes you see!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 26

One thing was "don't buy the Wilton pans, especially the character ones" which I didn't listen to and wish I had.

The same person gave me the recipe for the cake pan coating (equal parts Crisco, veg. oil and flour) which I love! Not exactly advice, but a great tip.

NuttyNanny Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 26

Thanks Baking_Booth. Sounds like your fiance is a definite keeper.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 26

Don't talk yourself out of something. I can not remember who told me it was so long ago, I don't even think I understood it at first. People come up with really great ideas and then spend to much time talking themselves out of being able to do it. "I will never be able to do that" or "I will never be as good as...." or "I know it won't work". I see a recipe I want to try, I try it. If it doesn't work I'll figure out why and if it does cool, at least I tried. It is the best advice I ever received, it can apply to everything including baking and decorating.

NuttyNanny Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 26

rlowry03....thanks..I am a perfectionist trying not to be so hard on myself

veejaytx...thanks for the tip on the cake pan coating...never heard of that on

Lorendabug...I'm like you, i'll try it and if doesn't work at least I tried and hopefully it tastes good because I will have to eat it!!!!!lol

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 26

"Stop justifying your prices" - I have someone that tells me that all the time. She always tells me I don't charge enough for all my hard work.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 26

Let's see, the best advice I was ever given was actually two pieces of advice. The first one was PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! (that came from a big name in the biz.) The second piece of advice is when another big name told me that when I am creating a cake I'm looking at it from the end of my nose for hours at a time, of course I'm going to see every little flaw on it. That doesn't mean the customer will see the bubble in the buttercream! icon_rolleyes.gif In other words, strive for overall excellence and give yourself a break. Great advice I still use to this day! icon_lol.gif

NuttyNanny Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 26

Thanks everyone for sharing "Best Advice Given..."

hhcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhcakes Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 12:52am
post #12 of 26

"It is better to tell a client you can't handle the job than to prove you can't."

I try to remember this when I get late calls for cakes on an already full weekend!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #13 of 26

The best advice I ever received came from my Wilton instuctor. She said it's icing there isn't much that can't be fixed with more icing. Then she proceeded to tell us how to fix several common problems. To this day I don't get upset if I have to fix something. Another piece of advice I got was from a member of our local cakeclub. She said that one of the best and most versatile tools to have in your kit was a pallette knife. She was so right because it is so flexibleit has many uses.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 1:38am
post #14 of 26

I say it's only sugar!..everything can be fix!...and definitevly practice makes perfect!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 3:04am
post #15 of 26

One of the best pieces of advice:

"If no one complains that you are charging too much, then you are not charging enough!"

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 3:29am
post #16 of 26

I think the best advice that I was ever given was........

Remember to breathe and make sure you take the time to enjoy what you are doing.. If it doesn't bring you joy then stop and do something else.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 26

Every one of the posted helps is sooo trueicon_smile.gif

I guess the best advice I can give anyone is to practice, Practice, PRACTICE! It does help!
And.....don't be so hard on yourself but always strive to improve.

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 26

I have gotten plenty of advice that helps me in one way or another; but the best thus far has been:

No one but you knows what it was intended to be; they just see the end result, so make the most of it.

NuttyNanny Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:11pm
post #19 of 26

Thanks everyone for responding to the post much appreciated and interesting to read all the well given advice!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:36pm
post #20 of 26

The best i ever received is:

"its not a mistake if you do the same thing around the whole cake, it was meant to be like that"

buckeyecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeyecakes Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm
post #21 of 26

The best advise I received was from my mother - while I was upset that my cake was not as "perfect" as I wanted....

"They asked you to make the cake because they can't"

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:34pm
post #22 of 26

All great advice, especially about others not noticing our flaws like we do -so true. I did a castle cake and some of the fondant cracked when I was impressing the brickwork, it was just a cake I was making for fun to bring to a friend's party but still, I wanted it to be perfect. Anyway, I actually received compliments on how authentic the castle wall looked, many people at the party were surprised when the found out it was cake, they thought it was a decoration. To think I was almost in tears over it.

My advice: if a cake isn't working out your way, have a glass (or 2) or wine, you'll relax and your cake will start to look better LOL. I seriously find that the less pressure I put on myself to have a perfect cake, the better it comes out.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:02pm
post #23 of 26

The best advice I received is that it's how you handle problems that will show your true abilities and professionalism. If you can handle problems under pressure with confidence, think on your feet, and have good problem solving skills, you'll be successful.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:09pm
post #24 of 26

The best advice I received starting out is that less is sometimes more. If you stand around for hours looking at the cake wondering what else it needs, it doesn't need anything else. When you're finished give it one last look all around, close the box, and walk away.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 1:33am
post #25 of 26

This lady is my hero! Best advice ever lol!

Quote by @FullHouse on 30 Dec 2008 , 9:34am

My advice: if a cake isn't working out your way, have a glass (or 2) or wine, you'll relax and your cake will start to look better LOL. I seriously find that the less pressure I put on myself to have a perfect cake, the better it comes out.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 1:33am
post #26 of 26

This lady is my hero! Best advice ever lol!

Quote by @FullHouse on 30 Dec 2008 , 9:34am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%