Lightbulb Moment!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 12:04am by sari66

Cathy26 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 11

LOL - i just had a major lightbulb over the head moment yesterday.

im always trying to save waste and money with fondant to the point where i never make enough and have a nightmare trying to cover cakes etc but then if i make enough i always have too much and my fondant receipt doesnt store well so it goes in the bin.

SO..... i suddenly realised that while my fondant doesnt store, my gumpaste (which is just my fondant mixed with CMC or gum tracaganth and wrapped in plastic to mature for over 24 hours) stores great so with all the leftover fondant from a christmas cake, i added the CMC and wrapped it well and two days later i made my first figure with it and still have loads left!! i just added a little shortening and it is great!

i will always do this with scraps now so i never have to worry about wasting again!!

For you all who already had the sense to do this i apologise but im very excited - lol!!

10 replies
Melvira Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 11

Don't you LOVE those moments! The ones that make you feel like a Superhero! Da-da-da!! Fondant Girl saves another dollar!!!

indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 11

Mine was on the catering side. I shared this with a catering friend, who couldn't stop laughing at me!

Things like green beans, corn, other hot veggies, I would put in large pans on top of the stove for cooking, then transfer the veggies to the long silver chafer pans that are on a buffet line for transport to the event. Wash the big pans and then head out to the catering. Well, Duh, Debi! Put the veggies in the chafer pan to start with, cover with foil and cook them in the big double ovens that you paid a fortune for! STOP washing the extra pans. STOP taking up stovetop space, STOP doing double work.

It's so simple ... and it took me years to figure it out! icon_redface.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 2:49am
post #4 of 11

Well good grief Debi... it's a good thing you're so dang cute because you're just not that darn bright! Hahahaha!!

Cathy26 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 11

lol, glad im not the only one!!

indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 11

It seems to run in the family.

My daughter was making playing card cookies and she was telling me how hard it was to make the spades. She said the diamonds, clubs and hearts were pretty easy, but those spades drove her nuts! I said, "You DO realize that a spade is just an upside down heart with a stem, right?"

There was this big long pause and she said, "oh NOW you tell me!"

DUH!!!

funbun Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It seems to run in the family.

My daughter was making playing card cookies and she was telling me how hard it was to make the spades. She said the diamonds, clubs and hearts were pretty easy, but those spades drove her nuts! I said, "You DO realize that a spade is just an upside down heart with a stem, right?"

There was this big long pause and she said, "oh NOW you tell me!"

DUH!!!

I'm glad I was not the only who didn't know that!!!! lol icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Don't you LOVE those moments! The ones that make you feel like a Superhero! Da-da-da!! Fondant Girl saves another dollar!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif is that a photo of Melvira!!..OMG...i see you! Finally!..so much talk, you are so pretty! icon_rolleyes.gif
Edna

Melvira Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif is that a photo of Melvira!!..OMG...i see you! Finally!..so much talk, you are so pretty! icon_rolleyes.gif
Edna

Oh shucks, stop it! You don't have to lie to me, I already love ya! Hehehe. You can see another picture of me on the Spotlight page from February '07. http://cakecentral.com/spotlight-13.html

tonedna Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 11

talk, talk, talk!...lol...i like the short hair too!...and plus I love ya too! icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #11 of 11

LOL glad you figured out what do with it beside trash it!
Debi you are too funny icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%