Wedding Cake Help Needed

Decorating By Evone Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm by -K8memphis

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 17

I have a wedding cake do today and it has the sugar sprinkles on it like snow. How do I get them on a fondant covered cake without making the fondant gooey? Thanks guys.

16 replies
ilovecupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovecupcakes Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 17

ive never tried this so i don't know how it dries, but you can use piping gel to get the sprinkles to stick. HTH good luck! can't wait to see how it comes out

Evone Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 17

It is a three tier cake and the snow.. is all over it so i was thinking maybe just a light spray of water but i am afraid it will get the fondant gooey and it would take to much gel lol. I would have to get a barrel of the stuff. I did actually concider it though lol. Thanks for the tryicon_smile.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 17

To get a snow effect spread a little royal icing on the fondant then sprinkle granulated sugar over it. This is the technique I've used on my "frosty" cake as seen in my avatar

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 17

sorry I've changed my pic but frosty can be seen under my cakes in the gallery

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 17

I would test those and include a test spray of lemon extract or some kind of alcohol. I would also test with a bit of bluing to the spray. I would test on scrap pieces of fondant.

It wouldn't take that much gel. Gel would work great.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 17

And I think I would brush the stuff on, not spray it. Easier to control. May need to blot it off too. You just need a moistened surface huh.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 17

I have seen where people use a mixture of very very finely chopped coconut, granulated white sugar, and edible glitter mixed together to create something that looks like snow with a sparkle to it. I would take the previous advice and use gel to get it to stick. I would definetly check with the bride before using anything like coconut on her cake though, there are a lot of allergies to this, or people who just flat out hate coconut.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 17

But if the cake is today, skip calling the bride.

Royal icing is great idea. I would thin it out probably and brush it on. But I would test all this stuff first to find the one I liked best.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 17

Can I ask one question? I'm curious as to how you waited till the day of delivery to figure out how to do such an important part of your decor.

Jacques Torres says that the mind of a savory chef and the mind of a pastry chef work differently. A savory chef has nine millions things cooking at once, a pinch of this and a pinch of that, everything ultimately a la minute. A pastry chef has everything all planned out, methodically controlled.

He said it better than I am paraphrasing but you get what I mean I hope. A pastry chef utilizes much more patience and planning. Not that savory chefs are haphazard they just think and operate different. Neither is right or wrong.

So your approach today is more of a savory chef. I have no doubt that your cake will be stunning and your work is great I'm just curious as to your approach. How could you wait so long to figure this out?

Evone Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 17

They have a pic of the cake they want and it has the Wilton sprinkles white sparkling sugar on it everywhere. That is why i don't think gel would work. I would be afraid of clumping all in one area and not even coverage all over. So we don't think water lightly sprayed is a good idea?

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 17

Brush & blot probably.

But test!!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 17

Me, after I knew which way worked best, I would use a big brush over the whole tier and work quickly and slather a ton of sprinkles and remove the excess for the other tiers.

Water lightly sprayed might work fine.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 17

I used piping gel brushed lightly to adhere the wilton sugars to my fondant. They hold on to the fondant really well.
Edna

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 17

Do you have any piping gel?? You can make it if you have some gelatine.

Is the water working for you?

Evone Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 17

We decided to go with the H2o and put it on in patches so we can make sure it is uniformed. I will put the end result of the cake on CC after it is done. Thanks so much you guys. I am so glad you guys are there everytime for me when I have a problem. Great sounding boards icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 17

I just wanna say that if you use a sprayer, potential overspray will melt the previous application. I'm sure you already knew that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%