Fondant First Timer Question

Decorating By brunette_1977 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 3:16am by kandu001

brunette_1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brunette_1977 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:54am
post #1 of 7

Okay I have some basic skills.. completing Wilton I and II courses, but I haven't made the time to go back to the course containing fondant. However....I'd really like to cover a cake in black fondant to help expedite turning a round cake into a bike wheel. I'd pipe the remaining parts of it. Am I crazy to do this without formal instruction? (Roses didn't come easy for me, mind you!)

The cake is for an at-home party for my cycling enthusiast boyfriend and a few friends and family. Not a hard group to entertain, as long as it tastes good!

6 replies
cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:05am
post #2 of 7

Not crazy at all! Practice is the only thing that will make you an expert. Family and friends are easy to please, and will be touched that you are even making a cake. Go for it and good luck. If you have time get the Black Satin fondant already made. Adding the coloring yourself will take alot of doing and doesn't taste as good. Also too much coloring will make your fondant sticky. Be sure to really knead your fondant and make way longer on the sides in order to make it smooth.

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:17am
post #3 of 7

If you can't find the black satin fondant, then you could use chocolate fondant which will require less food coloring and makes it easier to achieve black. Either way, good luck, and your family will love it and the fact you spent your time and love on it!!

Steph

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:23am
post #4 of 7

Go for it girl!!! thumbs_up.gif I never took classes before, I barely star my 1st. wilton course, and I did some of my cakes with fondant. What I do to get black fondant is chocolate fondant and then add the color, never have problems about the taste or anything.

Good look.

Frankyia thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 7

Definitely go for it! Check out the tutorial here on CC but also watch a few YouTube videos to see how the fondant should "handle", that really helped me a lot the first time. Just read up a bit first to get the subtle details down (such as: make sure your cake is iced nice and smooth before applying fondant, and allow the stacked, filled cake to settle first to reduce the risk of bulging, use an icing dam if the filling is soft, etc...you'll find lots of good tips here!)...you will do fine.

If you cannot get your hands on Satin Ice, add another vote for chocolate marshmallow colored black (but I'd recommend the Satin Ice). You can use Wilton but if you didn't take the course yet you may not be aware that it tastes AWFUL. Even if you tell your guests to peel it off, I don't know if covering a WHOLE cake in it would impart some of its terrible taste. Blech. I only use it for figures that are meant to dry out and not be eaten anyway.

BTW I have never had any formal instruction, and I started to get the hang of fondant by my 3rd cake. Mainly from spending a lot of time on CC, and practice. Practice on an inverted cake pan a few times and you'll do great by the time you're putting it on your cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 2:22am
post #6 of 7

Casting another vote for "go for it"! thumbs_up.gif I did nothing but BC for 25+ years. Got literally THROWN into my first fully-covered fondant cake when I agreed to help a friend, whose cake decorator quit on him 6 days before the wedding cake was due. I said, "Sure! I can help you out!" He said, "it's fondant ..... and it's square." (me: GULP!!!). Never had a class ... I only knew what I knew from all the CC threads I'd read. I was surprised (and hate to admit) how easy it was!

Go for it! I think you'll do great! thumbs_up.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 7

You're not crazy at all! Many CCers are self taught! Go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%