I Have To Break Up With Y'all, I Know You Are Broken Hearted

Lounge By Carolynlovescake Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 1:10pm by KHalstead

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 20

You see I have a new love, yes one that is stronger with my caking, cake forums, and even eating cake.

It's name... guitar hero.

Santa brought it for your 7 year old who hates he because it's to hard (I've been telling him that since it was first released!) and gave it to me (since it's my Wii).

Well of course I had to try it once... that was a mistake.

No there will not be you tube video of me. No there will be no still shots of my awesomely horrible guitar moves.

I warn you all now, if you have been debating getting it for you, your kids, your house just please beware it's VERY addicting.

What I want to know though... it's all rock (which isn't a problem with this house) by for the love of me please come up with an 80's top 40 version!!!!!!

____

Ok I'm not really leaving the forums but I figured I'd let the subject line lead that way so a few of you could roll your eyes and think "not another thread with a goodbye!" and sigh in disgust. To you who did that though I giggle with glee and I say "GOTCHA!"

Any way back to learn how to do riff's and chords! My new fake gamer guitar is calling! I think I shall name her Betsy. (wasn't that the name of Hank Hill's guitar in the Willie Nelson episode???)

19 replies
Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 20

I'm sitting here watching my 5 yr old play. It's really his dads toy but he loves it. I just tried it after reading your post...I'm not very good. I was boo'd pretty quickly.

Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:11am
post #3 of 20

So was I.

My 7 year old practiced a bit today on beginner level and was getting pretty good rather quickly. icon_confused.gif

Hubby said I can't do beginner that I need to start out with easy (because he knows I stick with easy).

Oddly enough he knows how competitive I am with him in games (in fun, not soccer mom insanly competitive to win at all costs) and he knows by forcing me to start with easy I'll improve faster (thus being able to kick his music hiney!).

I've grown up around music. I know chords. I know notes. I have rythm. That son of a gun husband of mine though who's as non rytmn, non music picks it up and kicked my butt.

I regret not learning guitar and keeping up with it as a child now because I would have had the upper hand in a game for once... I should have listened to my mom.

Then again I'm a SAHM... he works all day. I have at least a good 6 hours to practice while he's at work, 8 on a good week day. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 20

well we don't have the guitar hero but santa brought us a wii .. so we have been playing that and trying to do better then we did the first time .... we tried so hard for so long that both my body and my dh's body are in physical pain ... I can't believe what a workout that game is! My body feels like it did after having a seizure! All tense and to sore to do anything!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 20

My 26 year old Marine son lets loose the wanna-be-rocker in him when he plays this thing! Whatta sight to watch! He is nuts! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 20

DH played his cousin's guitar hero game a couple weeks ago. Now, this is the man who can't even tap his foot to the beat of a song much less even hold a guitar correctly. It was hilarious!

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 20

LOL! I can relate! My boys have Rockband and after all the hounding to play with them I finnally gave in. JUST THIS ONE TIME!! Yeah right! I ended up buying another guitar so that we can all play together! I've spent more money downloading new songs from the playstation network than they have!

We should get together and form a band online. THE CAKERATORS!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 2:59am
post #8 of 20

OMG, it took you forever to find Guitar Hero! I became addicted when Guitar Hero I came out on the PS2 several years ago. As each new game came out, I pre-ordered for my kids (read: me) and now we have them all on xbox too. It nearly KILLED me to have to wrap Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Band 2 and put them under the tree for Christmas. LOL So I played them at Best Buy every chance I could while Christmas shopping! Haha!

It's so funny ~ I have 3 teenagers and of course they love it, as do all of their friends. I cracks me up when a bunch of them are over here playing GH and I say, "Oh, hey can I try this?" like I don't know what I'm doing and then shred a Metallica song on expert while their friends (especially the guys) hang their heads in shame. LMAO!!

Seriously, GH is more fun than any game, any cake, any TV show, anything. Poor neglected hubby. icon_biggrin.gif

It is a great way to play with your older kids (and young ones too, of course).

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:13am
post #9 of 20

My mom brought Aerosmith GH Wii for my 9 & 6 yr olds for Christmas. Well, it's a bit tough for my 6 year old, my 9 year old is slowly gaining patience with it at our proding. My husband and I spent over 2 hours yesterday morning "showing" our 9 year old how to stay patient and not lose his temper when you make a mistake. Not sure how long he was actually in the room, but he must have been able to hear that we were patient with it. No better way to parent than by setting a good example, right? I guess now that everyone has finished dinner, we should go teach him some more.

sparklepopz Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:36am
post #10 of 20

It seems to be easier for kids to learn if they hear the actual songs several times so they are familiar with the music. Aerosmith is my least favorite because I'm not an Aerosmith fan, but the other Guitar Hero games have a range of songs from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and present. Crank up the Aerosmith for those kids, sister! icon_biggrin.gif

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:19am
post #11 of 20

Those sound great. Do you prefer GH III or Legends? My 9yro does know a little Aerosmith, he actually has a few on his iPod which he downloaded from my library. So far he prefers the cover song from the first section and finds that easier even though none of us have heard it before. He found the slow tutorial very helpful, that gave him the boost he needed, now we play co-op and don't look at the detailed stats b/c he can't stand to see me at a higher %. They are all stuck in sick for probably the next few days, so we'll (I mean he will) have plenty of time to practice. You Rock!!!! LOL.

sparklepopz Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:33am
post #12 of 20

Wow, they are well on their way then! icon_biggrin.gif To tell the truth, I prefer GH I as my all-time fave, with GH III next, then II, then Legends.

I hope your babies get well soon and that you all have fun while recuperating! icon_smile.gif

Oh, and you know that you can go online on your Wii and play against others, right? My parents have GH on their Wii (LOL, for all the grandkids - although that would be uber hilarious to see them playing GH!!) and it's so much fun playing against total strangers. icon_biggrin.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:18am
post #13 of 20

We only have the new two that came with World Tour.

Since we have it on Wii I'm limited on the previous versions from what I hear.

Although when GH Metallica is out ya'll won't see hide nor hair of me for weeks. icon_lol.gif

I'll have to get my wii speak microphone and keep it on so ya'll who have one can call out to me every now and then to report back here on my status. If I grunt back or hiss at you for interrupting me you know I'm alive and well. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We should start a CC band online. That would be hillarious but we'd need a way to communicate via voice... maybe with Ventrillo (free download and we can keep our pc microphone's in open chat mode so we can yell out to each other. icon_biggrin.gif

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 20

We have it on Wii as well, so I don't think GH 1 is available to us, but I will try III, I was looking at that the other versions Saturday and trying to figure out which one we would like. Our Wii isn't online yet, something my DH still needs to set up for us. He has the next 2 days off, so I will put that on his Honeydo list. I think I have a problem though, there is a part of me that is looking forward to my older 2 going back to school next week so I can work on my Career and not have to keep playing co-op LOL.

Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

I think I have a problem though, there is a part of me that is looking forward to my older 2 going back to school next week so I can work on my Career and not have to keep playing co-op LOL.

He hates long school breaks because he is a school-aholic. He's technically been off school since the 15th because of shut downs due to snow and ice storms. They are scheduled to go back on the 6th.

I don't mind playing with him on co-op though as long as he's a good sport about it. He tried easy mode and we had melt down city with him so we told him he had to stay on beginner for awhile and just have fun with it and not try to "get good". Of course he's like mom and dad and wants to do his best and play at our level.

Dad's just good at games. Mom's been doing music in one form or another for almost 36 of her 38 years of her life.

Things I've discovered. I can't play it with out singing and doing the beats with my foot. Hubby hates me singing while I play because it throws his game off beacuse I do better. hahahaha

I have never heard of some of the songs on there. I can't play those for the life of me because even though I can't sing it, I don't know the notes and cords coming up which rattles me. I need to solve that problem by playing more I'm sure. thumbs_up.gif

Lastly, I am so not into Korn and never cared for them. The song they have on there creeps me out. icon_lol.gif

sparklepopz Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

We have it on Wii as well, so I don't think GH 1 is available to us, but I will try III, I was looking at that the other versions Saturday and trying to figure out which one we would like. Our Wii isn't online yet, something my DH still needs to set up for us. He has the next 2 days off, so I will put that on his Honeydo list. I think I have a problem though, there is a part of me that is looking forward to my older 2 going back to school next week so I can work on my Career and not have to keep playing co-op LOL.

You are going to have so much fun! Get honey to get that wii online and then when the kids go back to school, rock on mama!

Last night my 16 yr old (who technically owns the xbox) packed it up and took it with him to a friend's house, where he is spending a couple of days. I was heartbroken when I discovered the xbox was gone but thankfully I have the original games on ps2.

You can get ps2's really cheap now (like a hundred bucks) and the older GH bundles cheap as well.

Oh, and once you open all the songs on easy, then medium, then hard, then expert, you will start working on getting them all played with 5 stars. It's a never-ending quest for perfection! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 20

how funny!!!! My Dh just got me guitar praise for Christmas which is basically the same thing as Guitar Hero but with contemporary Christian music instead and they guaranteed it here by Christmas but the Guitar didn't come until 2 days after Christmas which is fine cuz he got me Dance Praise too which is like one of those arcade dancing games.......anyhow......the guitar was cracked!!!! WE're still trying to get a replacement..........I'll bet I am not on here as much once I get it though.......I played guitar hero w/ my BFF and the whole room was wavy for like an hour after we got done because we played it so long!!! lol

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #18 of 20

Today I called my son down to play co-op with me, well, he lasted a few songs then he was done and I worked on my career for at least 1/2 hour, I opened up Walk This Way and Hard to Handle on easy, I was VERY excited, we're all stuck in sick so there's actually time to play. We do need to work on my son's meltdowns, keep reminding him it's just a game and you need to practice (like mom does LOL) he gets too serious sometimes but is getting calmer. Glad to hear he's not the only kid with this issue. My 6 yr old is working on the tutorials, I'm hoping to get him going with it, he has a good attitude, just gets a little bored not actually being able to play songs. He loves to pretend to be in my band though and boy, he's got the moves!!!! He decided to spike his hair the last 2 days so he can look like a "real rockstar".

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:41pm
post #19 of 20

We got my son the Aerosmith GH for his birthday this fall and he loves it.

We knew he would since we'd borrowed a friend's older GH games for his PS2 for a couple weeks this summer and our son played them all the time.

I'm not into it but the music on it is okay so I don't mind having it on in the background.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:10pm
post #20 of 20

it's so funny because my DH can actually play the guitar and I've always thought guitar players were "cool" so when I played it for the first time, the way you move your hands and stuff you really feel like "wow, I could totally be playing a real guitar right now!", but my DH bursted my bubble and told me it's pretty much NOTHING like playing a real guitar LOL then he tried to show me some chords and my fingers were cramping up lol but I LOVE GH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%