Help! How To Dry A Fondant Detail Fast

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 12:56am by kimster

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 8

So i ended up needing a last minute banner made of fondant on a cake i'm doing... just a thin fondant strip about 5" long. I cut it out last night but it's not totally dry. Need to assemble it, any suggestions on how to dry this strip of fondant fast? Hair dryer????

7 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 8

You might try sitting it in front of a fan and let the fan blow on high. That will dry it quicker than just sitting there. I am not sure if you should use heat....my fondant can't take heat.

Good Luck!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 8

If you have a food dehydrator, I Have heard of people using that to dry fondant items quickly.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 8

hmm,. no food dryer... set on top of warm oven?

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 8

Leaving it in the oven with just the oven light on will help it dry faster, but not sure if it's fast enough for what you need.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 8

Well how about a hair dryer on low heat?? That might provide the "air" to dry it.. Without too much heat.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 8

Moving air tends to help dry it out, but in my experience, heat does not help.

kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:56am
post #8 of 8

I tried heat once, it turned my fondant into a pile of jellatenous ooze. Great if I wanted my piece to look like vomit, not so good for the green petals it was supposed to look like. I found that if you have a hair dryer with a NO HEAT setting, you can use that, but anyway to get cool air circulating around it will speed it up.

set on paper towel cooling rack where air can move. Do you have any of those screens we use to keep our bacon grease from popping out of the pan? I bought one especially for fondant/gp and suspend it over two vases and put a little personal fan for quickly needed drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%