Share With Me, Pleeeease!

Decorating By diane706 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 7:37pm by Dinny2222

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 37

I'm opening a shop (hopefully by Jan. 1) and would like to offer not only my designer cakes but cookies and other types of pastries like cheesecakes, turnovers etc. and brownies. If you have any great recipes/ideas PLEASE let me know. You can PM me if you prefer. (Hopefully PMing is working now). I originally posted a question regarding "goodies for a pastry case" that can be purchased from suppliers in bulk but now I am leaning toward making everything from scratch. I want my customers to come back for more because the taste is out of this world yummy! Hee Hee! Also, why are some cheesecake recipes baked and some aren't??? I've never made one either way. icon_redface.gif Thanks everyone!!

36 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 37

There are some excellent books out with recipes like what you are looking for. The Magnolia Bakery cookbooks are good and Chef Capriel Pence has a dessert book that can do no wrong! Not to mention the oodles of recipe sites on the internet. Find a dessert you want to make (like Pecan Pie for example) and try a few recipes. Take notes, tweak and make it yours. Then you'll be known for THAT pecan pie. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

diane706 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 37

Thanks bobwonderbuns... Yes, I can try out recipes in my numerous cookbooks and on the internet til the cows come home but I need them NOW!!! icon_cry.gif I really trust you all to have some "tried and true" recipes. If ANYBODY cares to share it would be wonderful. If not, I understand. Hope I'm not crossing the line by asking this.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 37

As a shop owner for 14 years I have one word of warning for you....don't open until you are prepared. If you have not made cheesecake and don't know the difference between baked and not baked, then I would recommend slowing down!

You need to know your market and know what will sell, you need to start with just a few really good things and get going, then expand your repetoire as your business grows.

Do you plan to have walk-in business or only take orders?

Will you have refridgerated display cases?

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 37

I agree with Classiccake -- opening a shop in less than one week with no proven recipes sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It's no crime to slow down and wait until you are more prepared. Pick 10 recipes, perfect them and start with that. In the meantime you can get the kinks worked out. It's something to consider anyway.

diane706 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 37

Hey guys-
I've been in business selling my cakes for about 13 years now and my only question is about putting fabulous deserts in my refrigerated case that is in my shop at the present. I plan on going slowly so don't lose any sleep over it!!! I'm not necessarily going to put things in my case right away that aren't tried and true. I do have some good recipes and think of myself as a good baker. And by the way Bob, it is a crime for me to continue doing cakes without a license! I'm proud to say that this is a move I have made to be legal (RIGHT AWAY)!! Also, I do have proven recipes for my AWARD WINNING cakes and this is my main focus. Thanks for all your support guys! GEESH! This may be the last time I use CC. What a shame!

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Hey guys-
I've been in business selling my cakes for about 13 years now and my only question is about putting fabulous deserts in my refrigerated case that is in my shop at the present. I plan on going slowly so don't lose any sleep over it!!! I'm not necessarily going to put things in my case right away that aren't tried and true. I do have some good recipes and think of myself as a good baker. And by the way Bob, it is a crime for me to continue doing cakes without a license! I'm proud to say that this is a move I have made to be legal (RIGHT AWAY)!! Also, I do have proven recipes for my AWARD WINNING cakes and this is my main focus. Thanks for all your support guys! GEESH! This may be the last time I use CC. What a shame!

Diane it seems we got our wires crossed here. You did not say that you have been doing this for 13 years -- this is the first you had mentioned it. Your original post sounded like you just up and decided to go into business without a plan. Now you are supplying further information which none of the members on this thread were privvy to before we made our posts. Nobody had any idea you had any background in this from this post:

"I'm opening a shop (hopefully by Jan. 1) and would like to offer not only my designer cakes but cookies and other types of pastries like cheesecakes, turnovers etc. and brownies. If you have any great recipes/ideas PLEASE let me know. You can PM me if you prefer. (Hopefully PMing is working now). I originally posted a question regarding "goodies for a pastry case" that can be purchased from suppliers in bulk but now I am leaning toward making everything from scratch. I want my customers to come back for more because the taste is out of this world yummy! Hee Hee! Also, why are some cheesecake recipes baked and some aren't??? I've never made one either way. Thanks everyone!!"

My comment on it's not a crime to wait had nothing to do your comment on making cakes without a license. I know that's a crime. My comment was about you waiting until you had a business plan firmly worked out, which is NOT a crime.

I am sorry if you took any of these suggestions as less than supportive, but please look at the spirit in which they were intended. That's the support part of CC.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 37

There is actually a huge difference in making a baked cheesecake and non-baked. Baked it the only way to do it.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 37

I agree with bobwonderbuns....

Diane706, you gave absolutely no mention in first two posts about your experience; couple that with the request for "need recipes NOW" sounded like you needed them to open your shop with; add in your comment about baking/non-baking cheesecakes would lead anyone to think you were not a long time baker.

The phrase "It's no crime" is JUST a figure of speech and was referring to your starting out with fewer proven items and not to baking illegally....a bit sensitive.

In fact no one even knew you have been baking illegally...13 years is it?...until YOU mentioned it.

People with knowledge were just trying to give helpful comments....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 37

Diane, Congrats on being able to take the next step to become legal and open your own shop. That is definitely something to be excited about and I can tell you are excited about jumping in.

Bob and Classiccake have given excellent advice. Just having the recipe doesn't mean you can successfully make it. You can give me the best pie crust recipe in the world and I guarantee you my pie crust will taste like shoe leather ( I can't make pies to save my rear end!). You need to find recipes that work for you.

As Classic said, you need to know your market. You don't want to have things in your fresh case that wont' sell ... you'll end up throwing them out in a few days and that's costly. Very costly.

If you've been doing this for awhile and already have award winning recipes, then start with those. As bob suggested, pick 10 good ones and start with those. As classic said, add to it as your business grows.

It's great to be excited .... but don't let your excitement overrun your common business sense.

And if you ask for advice on CC, you're going to get our advice. Just because you don't like what you're being told (perhaps because you only gave us half the story to start with?), don't take your bat and ball and go home. There's lots of excellent business experience on here from folks who are more than willing to share their expertise and experience with you. Don't close the door on that generosity.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 37

A few questions first. We are only talking small pastieries. What are you going to offer, or make a million times better than your competition. You either have to offer a different product, or one that is THAT much better. The old usual fare of croissants, eclairs,and sticky buns just don't get it. My .02 go to the small frozen mousses. There are so many ways to serve them it's only your imagination that will hold you back. I would also do something with puff pastry.

Mike

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 37

Geez, I hope she isn't gone. I don't understand her reaction at all. It's too bad.

kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:46am
post #13 of 37

Well, I just want to thank you all for caring enough about a total stranger to give the best advice you have.

I have 24 years baking experience if you take into consideration making cookies with mommy when I was 8 icon_cool.gif

Anyway, as a newbie I find this community very helpful. It's hard to get experience and be legit while having a day job etc. I've learned to watch my back (and my buttercream) through this site and not do anything that would get me into trouble.

Many thanks!

Kim

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:47am
post #14 of 37

i am the cheesecake queen...love it!!! this one is the BEST

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/New-York-Cheesecake-III/Detail.aspx

also, nick malgieri has a amazing brownie called "supernatural"...google it and the recipe will pop up. these 2 recipes are seriuosly amazing...

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:29am
post #15 of 37

Post says, share with me PLEEEEZZZZ and when all you good people do, someone thin skinned and incomplete in disclousure pouts. Too bad.

I LOVED all the answers that were right on- based on the info available. I too was horrified when I thought someone who didn't know the baked versus refrigerated cheesecake question would risk money on a shop! (Glad that is not the case).

Keep on sharing for those who ask folks- we love you!

diane706 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 37

First of all, the words "my designer cakes" should have given everybody a little clue that I've been doing this for a while now and how many people "just up and decide to go into business without a plan", bobwonderbuns?? I'm 44 years old and have been around the block quite a few times. PattyT, since when does the knowledge and making of cheesecakes make a person an experienced baker?? I can't stand cheesecake because it is waaay to sweet for me!!! AND I've only had ONE person request cheesecake for their wedding cake, so I've never had any reason to make it. But if it sells and I can make $$ I'll GLADLY supply it to my customers!! As for this comment from Bob "I agree with Classiccake -- opening a shop in less than one week with no proven recipes sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It's no crime to slow down and wait until you are more prepared"... This is the reason for my original post... I was looking for TRIED AND TRUE recipes that I could try out BEFORE I open my shop!! Do you all REALLY think I would place items in my case without trying them out and perfecting them first???!! You must think I'm a real idiot...but wait, please don't answer that. I've already been stoned enough! Bleeding from the eyes isn't a good thing, is it? Also, Bob's comment about "slowing down and WAITING until I'm more prepared" sure sounds like He thinks I should WAIT to open my shop to me! I need to make money so I can feed my three boys and I don't have time to WAIT. AND I certainly can't afford a hefty fine from the health dept. either. Does all of this sound dramatic to you?? If so, I'd love to tell you my pathetic story about my ex-husband and how he abandoned me and my three precious boys after 20 years. I was kept barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen and home-schooling my boys while he was out having multiple affairs! He wouldn't DREAM of letting me out of the house to open up my own shop to persue what I love to do and what I do best. Yes johnson6ofus, this could possibly be why I've become somewhat "thin skinned" and also from callous people such as yourself! "Too bad" is right!. This is unfortunatly why I've been doing this without a license for so long. As I said before, my main and original focus is on making my designer cakes for weddings, b-days etc. The case just happened to be in the shop that I fell in love with and it needs to be filled. Frankly, I'm excited about the idea of making extra money from individual desert items! I finally found a GREAT deal after looking for about a year and a half and have turned down many offers and I'm absolutely THRILLED!!. Indydebi, I think you are so hilarious and LOL every time I read your posts. I think you have a lot of great advice for CCers, HOWEVER your reply which states "if you ask for advice on CC, you're going to get our advice. Just because you don't like what you're being told (perhaps because you only gave us half the story to start with?), don't take your bat and ball and go home" ...I didn't ask for one bit of advice on how to open up and run a business... I simply asked for recipes. Thank you to all of you CCers who sent unconditional and sincere well wishes and your fab recipes. You're my heros!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 37

Don't bash people who tried to help you avoid mistakes. Without some background, no one can know your situation. It is just sad that you felt the need to turn quality advice into a personal "slam". What is obvious to you as an experienced baker or businesswoman may not be so obvious to someone else. And the advice was really good, if you had been a newbie, limited baker, etc.

Have I read stupid, ignorant or potentially financially devestating posts here? YES!!!!! But that is why we are here- sharing and learning. And many kind CCers post answers. So you should THANK the posters who offerred you heartfelt sincere advice based on what we read in the original post. No one mean ment to insult you--- just protect you. In these tough times, we all need to be careful with our $$$.

With a family to support, and a louse of an EX, we all feel for you and wish you nothing but success.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:13pm
post #18 of 37

Wow. I can't believe I wasted my time reading this. I was hoping to help but there is no way I am willing to help such an ungrateful, rude person.

Diane706, you might be Colette Peters for all I know - but you asked for help and you were given help. As great as you might be with cakes, you have lost my respect. (But I know you don't care).

diane706 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #19 of 37

Oh My DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN!!!!! I asked for RECIPES not business advice!!!!! You accusing people don't know me at all that's for sure! This WILL be my last post and thankfully the last time I get beaten up!! I've had enough!! Don't bother to get out your bats anymore people. I'M OUTTA HERE!!!! I refuse to let you "mean ones" take my joy from me. SEE YA!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 37

Sometimes after a woman finally is free from an abusive/controlling relationship, she carries a lot of baggage from that situation into any and all relationships that come after. Including friendships. It's hard to trust people, hard to hear anything negative, even in the smallest sense. It's a sort of tunnel vision.

I know...because I've been there.

We damaged people want so much to be independent, to be self-sufficient, that it is nearly impossible to ask for help. When we do ask for help, and we get an answer we don't like, we lash out, usually without actually listening to or even really thinking about why the answer was given. Most people are eager to help. Many will bend over backwards to help. But we damaged people must be willing to receive. Clearly, diane706 did not get the answers/help she wanted, and was not ready to accept the answers/help she did get.

Time helps. So does self esteem. So does love. There is an abundance of love here on CC.

I wish you all the best, diane706. CC will still be here for you when you want to come back.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:36pm
post #21 of 37

Quite frankly, I'm a little upset at this entire thread...and I'm just not sure where to start.

I read Diane's initial post asking for recipes. I did what every good CC'er has done on here. Since I had some lengthy information to share with her, I sent her a PM. She got back to me and thanked me for my generosity.

What amazed me the most was the tone from some. I'm not pointing fingers. I'm saddened to think that the attacking back and forth continued for as long as it did. That's not what we're here for. Unfortunately, when communicating via email and blogs and responses, one never truly gets the whole picture and may get mixed messages as opposed to speaking to someone over the telephone or face to face.

I hope everyone can calm down and move on.

Paul (& Peter)

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #22 of 37

Wow...this thread is a little disheartening. You guys always give great advice. Yeah, it may not be what I want to hear sometimes but it's advice and quite frankly, the ones who have had their own place for years now, are the ones I want to hear from. I know a lot of times the threads on here go off topic a bit, but I hate that it went like this! Good luck with the shop Diane!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #23 of 37

On the original post, though I don't have any of my own, I find the recipes on recipezaar.com invaluable as they are easy to search by their reviews. You can type in "chocolate chip cookie" and then hit to sort by rating and the most reviewed, highest rated recipe will be at the top.
I also like epicurious.com

On the other side topic - I've only been doing this for 4 years and am not anywhere to the level I feel comfortable opening a shop, yet I would call my cakes "designer" as you described yours. The word "designer" did not key me in to that you had been doing this for 13 years at all. The point of this is not at all if you're cakes deserve it - I've never seen them - only just cause you slapped a label on it doesn't mean it is. I'm sure you've seen someone at the store selling what they considered "high-end" and thought "In what world?!"

I do believe your fellow CC'ers were just trying to help. Many of them have stores and experience of their own. They were just trying to look out for you.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #24 of 37

I have been speaking my mind a lot lately. I just get angry when people take advantage and are ungrateful in return.

I have learned nearly everything I know about cakes here at CC and I'll be the first to pay it forward, but I am simply unable to tolerate offensive behavior lately.

There was no need for her reply in a rude manner that she didn't ask for business advice - that could have been done much more respectfully.

I love it here at CC. I don't mean to come across as mean in any way, but sometimes when you speak up people listen. Perhaps she will think twice in the future when she asks for help and gets an answer she wasn't looking for.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #25 of 37

LOLOL The funny thing I find about this. Most recipes you find on the net aren't going to come close to making the $$$ you need to fund a stand alone bakery. This is why Pillsbury, and the like are still in business. There are wholesalers that make baked goods so cheap, and actually very good, it almost doesn't make sense to open a full service bakery nowadays.

Mike

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:17pm
post #26 of 37

Oh, I completely agree CakeMaker! From designer and other words the OP wrote, I would have had no idea that she had been doing this for 13 years. Her original post was a little bare in detail. But like Paul stated, sometimes emails/blogs/posts don't come across the same as it would in someone's own voice.

I wanted to ask the OP more questions about what she was going for in the case (muffins, pies, cakes, cookies, pastries, doughnuts, etc). Was she wanting some of everything or just 2 or 3 things to make it easier on herself. That way I know what she was looking for in order to be able to help her. But since she isn't getting back on here...it's pointless I guess. Such a shame!

And I am embarrassed to say that I did not know there was uncooked cheesecake! We've always had baked ones growing up so I never knew there was a different way! But to my defense...I'm only 2 years into this!!!

There IS no reason to be rude to one another!!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:18pm
post #27 of 37

I love this site and the invaluable techniques and advice I find here. I think it is a shame when a thread takes a turn like this. What if rude posts were just ignored or at the very most answered with an "I'm sorry you took it that way", then ending it all. My opinion is if no fuel is added to the fire, things can't escalate and if someone's rudeness is ignored they may not have reason to repeat their lashing out in the future. Kind of how I have to handle my children when they whine LOL. There are ways to let someone know that you are insulted without getting mean. I do hope Diane is able to succeed in her business venture and find happiness in her personal life as well. Thanks to all of you experienced CCers who are willing to generously share your knowledge.

diane706 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:35pm
post #28 of 37

I'm back... and I'm COL ("Crying Out Loud" if that's not already an acronym on CC). Okay everyone. I'm really sorry that I offended you. SugarFrosted probably hit the nail on the head. Please accept my apologies. Please. I really do enjoy CC and have learned alot. Now I think I'll go throw up! icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:37pm
post #29 of 37

welcome back, diane. we're all here for advice, for feedback .... and for shoulders to lean on when you need one.

(I'm also a "been there, got away from that" gal!) thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:43pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

I'm back... and I'm COL ("Crying Out Loud" if that's not already an acronym on CC). icon_cry.gif Okay everyone. I'm really sorry that I offended you. SugarFrosted probably hit the nail on the head. Please accept my apologies. Please. I really do enjoy CC and have learned alot. Now I think I'll go throw up! icon_cry.gif

We're very happy you are back Diane. I apologize if you were offended by my words. Now let's put it all behind us and make some fabulous cakes! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%