I Have 2 Questions...fondant & Acd Or Mbn?

Decorating By Getus Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 1:22pm by GeminiRJ

Getus Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

First question: How long is my homemade fondant good? I made Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe.

Second question: Which magazine is best...American Cake Decorator or Mailbox News?

5 replies
cakedout Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not much help on the homemade fondant, but as for the magazines...

Both are great sources in their own respect, and if you can afford it-get both! icon_biggrin.gif

ACD is what I call a "How To" magazine: they show a cake, then a picture tutorial on how to re-create it. It's a great learning and vendor resource.

MBN is kinda like our cake galleries here on CC: loads of pics from decorators with a brief blurb about how they did it. A great source of ideas and recipes.

kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 6

Yep, she ^^^ described the mags perfectly.
Sorry , can't help on the fondant either.

sari66 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 6

Both are good just as cakedout said and I've had some homemade fonadant in my kitchen for the last two months and just checked it on tuesday past and it was fine.

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6

I subscribe to both but wish ACD had more focus on buttercream. When the magazine first came out it did.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 6

I've gotten both magazines in the past, but have only stuck with MBN. (I love looking at all the cakes!) I simply don't do fondant, and ACD heavily favors that medium. If you are a fan of fondant, it would be a good resource to have around. If you're looking for buttercream ideas, though, it would not be something I would recommend due to the expense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%