Another Fondant Question!!!!!

Decorating By carmenid Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 5:32pm by ladybug76

carmenid Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

What happens when you refrigerate a cake that has been covered in fondant without covering it? will the cake itself turn dry??

5 replies
bashini Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I never put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge. I'm really scared that the fondant would go all sticky. But I know some do that. If there's any condensation after you take the cake out of the fridge, some use a hairdryer to dry it out.

dmich Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 6

Just from hearing the advice of those on CC, I have never put a fondant cake in the fridge b/c I understand that condensation does all sorts of nasty things to the fondant. From what I've learned, you want to be careful about what you fill a fondant cake with - choose fillings that don't require refrigeration (or can stay out of the fridge for a long period of time).

CakesByLJ Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 6

I refrigerate fondant cakes all the time.... never a problem. Almost all of my homemade fillings require refrigeration, so I am not limiting myself to using fillings that don't require any refrigeration.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 6

I always put my fondant cakes in the frig - NEVER had a problem! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, you will get condensation on the cake, but DON'T TOUCH IT and as it warms up to room temp the condensation soaks back into the fondant without any markings. It is better to cover the cake with plastic wrap if you put it in the frig but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Also don't worry about the cake drying out -- you have cake, then a layer of buttercream (considered a liquid) then an layer of fondant. For the cake to dry out the air in the frig has to go through the fondant, then through the buttercream to even get to the cake and that's not going to happen. And the fondant as it warms up will also absorb the oils from the buttercream to keep it pliable. So you see, no worries! icon_biggrin.gif

ladybug76 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 6

There are lots of foums regarding this topic.... to refrigerate or not? Personally, I refrigerate nearly all my fondant cakes and never had a problem.... knock on wood. If condensation happens, I just remove from frig in enough time to dry out.
Try a search here on CC and you can help decide which would work best for you!!
~~ Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%