Tips For Using Different Size Pans

Decorating By lasher Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 1:22pm by kakeladi

lasher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasher Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:28am
post #1 of 4

I just started decorating cakes in Oct., & have just been using 9" round pans. For Christmas my husband gave me some pans that range from 3" up yo 15". Is there a place I can find some conversion charts to know how much batter to make for various sizes & any changes I need to make in temp & cooking times?

3 replies
saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:51am
post #2 of 4

Wilton has a chart on their website: www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake2-inch-pans.cfm.

If that is not exactly it, just go to the website. Unfortunately, I am not that computer literate! LOL

HTH

Sheryl

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:54am
post #3 of 4

Sorry, typed that wrong: Try this:

www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

If this does not work, just go to the Wilton site.

Sheryl

This one works! icon_biggrin.gif I didn't know I could edit posts--told you, totally computer illiterate!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 4

The best tip anybody can give you is to make your own chart!
Do you bake from scratch or mixes?
Measuring batter like the Wilton chart tell you is messy icon_sad.gif
Fill any pan 2/3 to 3/4 full of batter. Are your new pans 2" deep?
That would mean (If you were to use a ruler to measure the batter it would be at least 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" deep.) Once you have used a particular pan, make notes as to how many mixes or scratch recipes it took to fill that pan. Maybe use a permanent pen on the bottom of the pan.
As for how long to bake.........use your nose! When you smell it (aaahhhhhh smell that chocolate cake) it is done.
The other tip I can give you is to read, read, read what is on this site. There are so many tips & hints here you will learn sooooo much.
Good luck and happy baking!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%