Gumpaste Poinsettias

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm by gscout73

TexasSugar Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #1 of 7

I'm not a big one to post something in a new thread and say hey look at what I did, but I was proud of my flowers and just had to share them.

I used three different how to's I found on line and merged them together, along with figuring out what cutters I had on hand, to get the final product. This was a last minute idea so I spent most of Tuesday and half the day yesterday trying to get the petals made in time for them to dry. That was inbetween all the other things I needed to do for Christmas and Christmas Eve. Some how I got it all done working until the last possible minute then getting dressed for our holiday celebrations in under 5 mins. But it was worth it, because I got to give my grandma a surprise for her holiday table.

Out of curiousity, how much would ya'll charge (or pay) for gumpaste poinsettias. My cousin was asking me and I was like probably more than you would pay. They are about the size of a dinner plate. Each flower was made from about 20-24 petals plus leaves.

6 replies
bananabread Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:13am
post #2 of 7

they are very pretty.

Frankyola Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:04am
post #3 of 7

They are sooooo pretty icon_surprised.gif congratulations, I love the deep red color (my favorite color) sure it worth it. I love them thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lami Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:07am
post #4 of 7

They are really beautiful. Please what tutorials did you merge? It will be worth trying. Thanks

Chiara Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:21am
post #5 of 7

To be honest you would never make money because of the time factor. But I would charge $8-10 per flower since they basically cover the top of a cake.
Anyone could just make a simple cake and add one of your flowers and boom something to behold.
Gorgeous flowers by the way. The work shows.
I am sure your grandmother was blown away.
Happy Holidays

TexasSugar Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:47am
post #6 of 7

Thanks ladies! icon_smile.gif

I used the following links:!%20--%20Fran%20Tripp.pdf

I used 3 of the 4 cutters I have for a life size mangnolia flower set, plus the smallest leaf cutter from Wilton's cut out set. I just looked at all the gumpaste flower cutters I had and tried to make it work. The veiner I used is one that I got from First Impressions. Nic Lodge was selling it at the 2007 convention to go with the flower for the hydranga and sunflower leaves.

I doubt I will ever sell any because I know the time involved, plus the cost of the materials. I used one and a half packages of gumpaste to make the 3 large flowers (pictured) and hopefully 3 medium flowers plus leaves. Not to mention the bottle of airbrush color I used up and the one I started on. I also forgot to dust them with pearl dust like I was thinking I would, so that would have just added to it. Sigh.

They are so pretty in the end, but so time consuming. I guess I'll just use making flowers for relaxation instead of making money.

gscout73 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 7

Wow, those are Great. I will have to try them next year.!! Congrats on a beautiful job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%