Fondant Cake

Decorating By toni123456 Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm by emiyeric

toni123456 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif I am doing a lightning McQueen car cake from the move cars I am doing rolled fondant on the outside and when do I start? It for Saturday the 1-3 but I worry do I do it the day before and leave it out but well it dry out over night? Or do I put it in the fridge but will it melt? Or do I do it that day? Please help me

3 replies
ladybug76 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 4

I've covered cakes in fondant 2-3 days prior without any problems. Some I have left out and others I have placed in frig without any problems of melting, etc. Sometimes, I think for peace of mind, I (lightly) brush over my cakes with a sugar syrup (equal parts of sugar and water, boiled then cooled. You can also add small amount of flavoring). This helps to keep cakes moist, but so would the think layer of icing to help fondant stick to your cake.
The Cards cake sounds pretty detailed. For myself, most of my cakes are detailed and take hours.... I would be a nervous wreck if I waited until the day of to assemble the cake.
Hope this helps!! Happy Holidays!!!
~~ Jaime

Cakeonista Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 4

you can cover your cake u to 3 days ahead of time...............if the filling can stay out leave it out, if the filling needs refrigeration then put in the fridge but take it out ample time ahead so if it sweats it has time to dry. hope that helps.

emiyeric Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 4

On that same note, just make sure that every tiny bit of your cake is already covered in icing before you leave it out, and that will help keep your cake moist, regardless of how many days prior you start it. Also, if you cover it first in your first layer of fondant, and leave the details till the next few days, it will seal in the moisture. Either way, it should be fine as long as it's covered with icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%