I Shoulda Said No!

Decorating By laura1029 Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 1:00am by enoid

laura1029 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:19am
post #1 of 11

Yes, it's my fault - friend asked me to make a 'simple' cake for a 50th birthday. The problem? Due the day after Christmas and I was asked this week. Since she's a very good friend I agreed even though every bone in my body was screaming NOOOOO!

Find out she wants the cake black and white with a fondant bow. Ok, sounds easy enough. However, since I was asked so late I didn't have time to order black fondant (can't get it locally) so I had the bright idea to paint the bow using black food coloring and vodka. Yeah....3 days later still not dry. Great idea! Tonight I bake the cake - was going to torte and ice but took a 'quick' break to wrap some presents and set up Santa's toys for my son. Pulling presents out to wrap and a big heavy glass candle falls directly on my big toe. Big heavy glass candle won and I now have a broken toe and a cake due Friday with a bow that's not dry and a cake that's not iced. Merry Christmas...I'll be glad when this week is over!!! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
justducky Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #2 of 11

Hugs, hugs and more hugs! Hang in there!

landylou Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 11

Awwww, I'm hurting with you. Do you think maybe you could do a Gum Paste Bow? It dries fast. Or, sense it's a friend maybe she will have sympathy for you and let you use a real black bow. After all it was a bit short notice. Good luck to you and I hope your toe has swift healing!!!

stephaniescakenj Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:41am
post #4 of 11

ok... first, don't come back here and yell at me when you cook your bow tomorrow! BUT whenever I need to dry something fast, I put it in the oven with the light on. The heat from the light helps dry it out quicker, just don't forget about it tomorrow if you're cooking dinner icon_lol.gif otherwise I agree with landylou, it's for a friend right after christmas, I don't think anyone will complain if you run to the craft store and grab a real bow.

Kitagrl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:46am
post #5 of 11

If you happen to have some dark chocolate candy melts and maybe some black candy color...? You can use the wax paper strip method to make a christmas type bow. I did that when my fondant bow didn't dry in time and it worked out actually really well.

bizatchgirl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:54am
post #6 of 11

That's a brilliant suggestion kitagirl. I've never even heard of that. I never make my gumpaste decos ahead like I should. I'm sure some day this tip will come in handy for me!

Tita9499 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 6:36am
post #7 of 11

Sorry, but I'm the odd man out. I say you tell your friend, "Hey got a broken toe, it hurts, can't stand up for long periods of time and decorating a cake (as well as enjoying Christmas with my family requires some standing). I'm going to have to back out on this one". It's not like you injured your toe on purpose...I mean it's broken for cryin' out loud. If she loves you, she'll more than understand.

laura1029 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions! I just finished the cake - sitting the entire time (thank goodness for hubby who acted as my 'legs' today....get this, make that, i need a drink lol!). Cake turned out ok - bow's not perfect and it's still a bit tacky but it will do.

I have definatly learned my lesson and will be learning how to say NO without feeling guilty!

Hope everyone's Christmas was great! --Laura

Sweet_Cakes Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 11

I'm sorry...it's funny...I'm having problems with my toe too...but it's not broken lol. I guess I better count my blessings! Hang in there...it will get better!

AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #10 of 11

I hope your feeling better. icon_smile.gif This Christmas was very stressful and I didn't even bake a cake. My stress was from my daughters 8th birthday 2 days after Christmas. Big castle cake and cookies at that. What a week, I'm glad it's over too! icon_lol.gif

enoid Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #11 of 11

I feel your pain. I fell on the ice and broke my arm 3 weeks ago. At least I don't have to walk on it. icon_lol.gif Hang in there it will get better. Oh, and let them wait on you hand and foot if they offer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%