My Dad Made Me An Agbay For Christmas!

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 1:58am by milissasmom

summernoelle Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 24

I really wanted an Agbay for Christmas this year, and my DH had sent my dad a link to their site. Tonight, when I opened a gift from them, I saw that he and my granddad had actually made me one! My Dad and my GD are one those gifted engineering types, and my GD has a friend who is a machinist who helped them out in his shop, and it turns out that they spent hours upon hours making this thing. How sweet is that? I loved it!
I jokingly told them they should go into business and make them, too. But I think it was a bit too daunting to do again!
Just thought I'd share.

23 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:48am
post #2 of 24

pics? My dad COULD, but doubt he WOULD---he'd walk me through it step by step though. Maybe in a few yrs for my 35th bday/Christmas present if I don't have the real thing by then.

psurrette Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 24

Sounds great. But they do have a patent on that product so I wouldnt advertise that they copied it. The people that invented the Agbay are great people and wonderful decorators. They worked for years designing this product......

fba322 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 24

How cool is that! Makes it that much better knowing they made it. I wouldn't worry about the patent and the fact they copied it. If they aren't marketing them for sale and aren't profiting off of them, then it is fine. I work for a huge company that manufactures and sells our own lighting products around the world. We have 13 patents, and there are companies who actually built their business knocking off our products and we are in litigation having to prove they are wrong. So I don't think one knock-off Agbay is gonna pose a problem! lol

summernoelle Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 24

psurette-since he isn't selling it, I doubt it is a problem! icon_biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas!

Mike1394 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 24

Very cool congrats.

Mike

Karabear1125 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds great. But they do have a patent on that product so I wouldnt advertise that they copied it. The people that invented the Agbay are great people and wonderful decorators. They worked for years designing this product......

Oh please, no offense but cmon is that statement really necessary?! Way to be negative on her christmas gift! wtg!

Her dad and GD aren't mass producing these things..I think it's great that they did this for her, what a special gift! I'm so happy for you! Definately a cherished gift to be had FOREVER and a memory maker!

CakeWhizz Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 24

Would your dad adopt me please?? Enjoy your wonderful gift and let us know how you get on. Merry Xmas.

rezzygirl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 24

That's awesome that they did that for you! I have one and I love it. I'm sure you're gonna love using it too! And you have the benefit of remembering your thoughtful family everytime you use it!! Merry Christmas!!!

ilovecupcakes Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabear1125

Quote:
Quote:

Oh please, no offense but cmon is that statement really necessary?! Way to be negative on her christmas gift! wtg!

Her dad and GD aren't mass producing these things..I think it's great that they did this for her, what a special gift! I'm so happy for you! Definately a cherished gift to be had FOREVER and a memory maker!

i totally agree with you, its not necessary!!!! if you would have thought about it you would have realized that since it was a handmade GIFT its not a big deal. dont be a grinch

have fun with your gift and merry christmas

summernoelle Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #11 of 24

Ha ha.

Thanks everyone! We had a great day today-hope you all did as well!

mkolmar Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #12 of 24

Sounds like you were a good girl this year. (well at least your dad and DH think so icon_wink.gif )

sweetcakes Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 24

the greatest and most precious gifts are those that are home made. how thoughtful of your Dad and GD to make you something you wanted. a pat on the back for them and a wah-hoo!! for you. Happy Holidays!!

Trixyinaz Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 24

What is an Agbay? I'm still very new to all of this so forgive me if this is a dumb question. How lucky for you that your dad and GD are the handy type and made it for you. My dad was like that and I regret not paying attention when he made things or built things....it's times like this when I really miss him terribly. Merry Christmas and glad you got something you really wanted!

And to the poster about the patent, they aren't mass producing this. They made something similar as a gift for a family member. They aren't selling them so there is no issue.

summernoelle Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 24

I just wanted to tell you guys that I just used it for the first time, and OMG it was awesome! What normally takes me like an hour to level my darn cakes took me like 2 minutes for 3 layers for a 3 tiered cake (so 9 total)! And not near any many crumbs all over my floor because it just slices off! I am so excited! I had no idea what I was missing.

-Tubbs Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 24

Sounds wonderful!

(Just went to the Agbay site - $250 for the deluxe model icon_eek.gif Yikes.

Wondering if my engineer, loves-a-project husband might like to make me one too!)

CakeMakar Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 24

Congrats! Can we see pictures?! How exciting for you, and I'm glad it works so well.
I always get DH to rig up things for me, whether for the house or my cakes. He's my "structural engineer." At the moment, he's building me a large island for my kitchen because not one had all the features I wanted. icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #18 of 24

I know. They are $$$. All the men in my family are engineering types as well-but it took them like 2 weekends to do it! lol.

nickshalfpint Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 24

That's really cool. I would much rather have something my dad and grandpa made, than something bought. My dh is restoring a desk my grandpa made for me when I was 4. My dd wanted that one instead of buying her a new one. It's something you will cherish forever and ever!

TheCornerBakery Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #20 of 24

That is soooooooo cool. I truly believe the Agbay is one of the top tools for cake decorators to ever be made. ( I am not a paid spokesperson LOL)

that is great to have family members that know about that stuff to make it for you.

Congrats and happy baking with your new toy..

Michael Anthony

__Jamie__ Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:53pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabear1125

Quote:
Quote:

Well, realistically, how many crazy stories have we heard of people thinking they did something completely innocent only to be smacked up by a lawsuit from "out of nowhere". I really think you should delete this post summer, and enjoy that "Agbay" behind closed doors. May sound dramatic, may sound like peeing on your cheerios, but people with copyrights and patents don't pay thousands of dollars and work for years to be copied.

I do agree, that is soooo awesome of your dad and grampa...but keep this to yourself! shhh.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 24

I dunno, maybe what I posted is a bit dramatic, but I would just hate to see you get in trouble for something like that. Now that would really be a bummer!

summernoelle Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:48am
post #23 of 24

Yeah, it kind of sucks how litigious our country is. Didn't even think about that when I posted-I just thought it was a cool gift to share. Guess I should have said "cake leveler" or something!

milissasmom Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #24 of 24

This is SO awesome. I am so excited for you. Having an Automatic Cake Leveler will change your life thumbs_up.gif Congrats my dear!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%