What's Your Biggest Christmas Mistake?

Lounge By adonisthegreek1 Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm by Larrimore

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:00am
post #1 of 17

I usually wrap gifts and put them under the tree at night when the kids have gone to bed. A couple of years ago I was so tired on Christmas Eve that I fell asleep right after the kids. The were shocked to wake up on Christmas morning and have nothing under the tree. I was shocked too that I actually slept all night. I told them that I'd look around to see what happened. After investigating, I found that Santa was running behind and had left unwrapped gifts in the garage.

16 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 17

I always forget what was supposed to be from us and what was supposed to be from Santa, and I'll start to say stuff like "I'm glad I bought that when I did..." and my husband will give me the "shut yer trap yer blowin' it" look. The kids have yet to catch on to anything, though.

Merry Christmas everybody!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 17

It was a standing joke how I'd forget where I hid a gift and I'd find it the following summer, in the closet, in a dresser drawer, in the glove box of the car! icon_redface.gif Kinda like that scene in Christmas Vacation where he find the old, wrapped gift for his wife in the attic! icon_lol.gif I've gotten much better ...... haven't forgotten much in the last couple of years.

Some family bloopers include how my sister found out she was getting a camera for Christmas. Sis and mom were playing the 20 questions .... sis asked, "Do I use it inside or outside?" Mom says, 'Well .... both." Then dad pops in with, "Yeah! You can even take pictures at work with it!" Sis bursts out laughing. Mom is ready to kill him. Sis gets her camera early.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 17

My biggest "mistake" depending on my mood at the time whether it's a mistake or a blessing was getting married 30 years ago today!!!

icon_lol.gif

30 years lacking one hour and about three minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 12:09am
post #5 of 17

I haven't made any big mistakes but when I was about 7 my parents made a big one. We were living in an apartment with 8 bedrooms and they used one for storage. They sent my two older brothers to put something away there without thinking of all the unwrapped Christmas presents sitting out. Of course my brothers took all of us to show us what we were getting, I think we knew everything we were getting that year.

Why they had them just sitting out in the first place even if the room was locked is beyond me, one of my brothers was so good at finding out what his present was he would know even if they hid it at a neighbor's.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 12:32am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

My biggest "mistake" depending on my mood at the time whether it's a mistake or a blessing was getting married 30 years ago today!!!

icon_lol.gif

30 years lacking one hour and about three minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Anniversary ..... and wishing you many more.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:55am
post #7 of 17

I can't remember anything I did but mine is similar to mbelgard's.
When I was about 9 my mother sent me into the basement 'fruit celler' to get something for supper & there was my bikeicon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:44am
post #8 of 17

Just yesterday we were at dh's family get-together and we were all talking about what our kids like/don't like to eat. I piped in and said how my kids LOVE ham. I went on to say, "They must get that from me because [DH] HATES ham of any kind." A few minutes later we were opening gifts and his aunt and uncle got us a gift set with pancake mix, maple syrup, and....yep....right there it was....country ham.

I guess that counts as a Christmas mistake.

indydebi Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

A few minutes later we were opening gifts and his aunt and uncle got us a gift set with pancake mix, maple syrup, and....yep....right there it was....country ham.

I guess that counts as a Christmas mistake.

We were having dinner at a relative's house and I was telling a story about a pitch-in we'd had a work, where some lady had brought in ham slices baked with pineapple. But instead of using crushed pineapple or pineapple rings, she just opened a can of pineapple chunks and dumped it on the ham, with no attempt to even TRY to make it look attractive. So I'm telling the story about how bad it looked .... when our hostess opens her oven to check on the ... yeah, you guessed it ... the ham she was baking .... covered in pineapple CHUNKS!

I kinda just slinked off into the other room. icon_redface.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:12am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I can't remember anything I did but mine is similar to mbelgard's.
When I was about 9 my mother sent me into the basement 'fruit celler' to get something for supper & there was my bikeicon_smile.gif

One year Sears called and I pretended to be my mom and they confirmed her order for the new 10 speed bikes!

We were getting new bikes for Christmas!! Yeah!!

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:57am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I usually wrap gifts and put them under the tree at night when the kids have gone to bed. A couple of years ago I was so tired on Christmas Eve that I fell asleep right after the kids. The were shocked to wake up on Christmas morning and have nothing under the tree. I was shocked too that I actually slept all night. I told them that I'd look around to see what happened. After investigating, I found that Santa was running behind and had left unwrapped gifts in the garage.

This happened to me last night! LOL I was soo tired that I fell asleep after my little one did but luckily I ended up waking up at 5am and did a rush job w/the presents..freaked me out!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 17

I've never made any big mistakes, but occasionally a present gets forgotten. My husband LOVES boiled custard, so every Christmas Santa leaves him a quart of it, and this year I complete forgot about it (I bought it, but it was still hidden in the extra fridge) until he asked about it. I had a book for my son that I overlooked because I thought my daughter had already wrapped it earlier for me (she's 13 and helped me with a lot of the gift-wrapping this year).

I did stick my foot in my mouth at an office pot-luck one year. I was with a small group of friends, and I knew what everyone had brought, so I felt safe to comment on a batch of brownies that was not very good (too much cocoa, not enough sugar so they were bitter). I was then horrified to find out that one of my friends had in fact made them as well, for her boyfriend (who also worked there) to bring! icon_redface.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:29am
post #13 of 17

This year we went a little overboard with my son's Christmas. He got a PSP with games and a Dirt Bike as the large items. He's 5 so there were RC toys, etc...he's not really into Santa but will pretend for our sake I think...anyway, he slept til almost 9:30....meanwhile DH and I look at the small pile of gifts and think that he'll not pay attention to anything but the dirt bike so we roll it into the bedroom....I sneak in to wake him and he pokes his head from the covers and says...hey mom did you see that dirtbike? OMG...he got up during the night and checked out the stuff that was unwrapped!!!!!!Needless to say, we tried to convince him he was dreaming but that didn't work. We felt really silly!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 3:24am
post #14 of 17

LOL, these stories are hilarious!!

On Christmas Eve, I was in my 17 year-old daughter's room watching her finish loading my husband's 30 favorite CD's and a ton of applications on his new iPod Touch (God bless her, she spent like 10 hours ripping CD's and putting a ton of fun stuff on his iPod). I had bought him a case for the iPod and she said, "It's too bad this case doesn't have a screen protector on it." I said, "I know, you are both going to need to..." UH AWKWARD SILENCE as she stared at me with my mouth open looking shocked until she burst out laughing. She also got an iPod Touch for Christmas but I kinda blew the surprise! :embarrassed:

I did get her pretty good though...I used my Canon SD1100 box to wrap a couple of CD's for her. She asked for one for Christmas and got so excited as she opened the box, then looked a tad disappointed when she saw there wasn't a camera in the box. Hers was in the next box though - I got her a pink one. LOL

Oh, and my 16-yr-old son opened his Triple Cymbal Kit for Rock Band 2 before opening the box containing Rock Band 2. OOPS!

Yeah, I'm scatter-brained! They know they pretty much get everything they ask for, though, so it's not like anything is ever REALLY a huge surprise, but still.... LOL icon_smile.gif

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:46am
post #15 of 17

My kids had looked for and found all their gifts one year, even unwrapped some and rewrapped them, I was really upset with them and decided the following year I would only number the packages, and I would be the only one with a list as to who each package actually belonged too, worked fine the first year I did it, but the second year I lost the list, I had to try and remember which package went to which person. It all worked out in the end, even if they did open some one else's present.

indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It was a standing joke how I'd forget where I hid a gift and I'd find it the following summer, in the closet, in a dresser drawer, in the glove box of the car! icon_redface.gif Kinda like that scene in Christmas Vacation where he find the old, wrapped gift for his wife in the attic! icon_lol.gif I've gotten much better ...... haven't forgotten much in the last couple of years.

I spoke too early! Monday is deep-cleaning day at the shop, so I'm digging out the back of a shelving unit today and lo and behold, guess what!!? I find TWO desk size water fountains that I bought last summer for my hubby and son-in-law! Hubby met me for lunch, so I gave him one and said "Happy Birthday" (his B.D. is two days after Christmas). He laughed and said, "You forgot where you hid it, didn't you?"

I think we've been married too long ... he knows me too well!

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 17

One year, Santa brought my DD an easy bake oven. You would think the 100 watt light bulb would come with the oven right? No and of course, I didn't read the box, you know, the part that says light bulb not included, until Christmas morning when she wanted to use it. Luckily, the little country store was opened and they had the bulb.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%