Question About Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By patton Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 3:33am by leah_s

patton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I hope you all are having a Merry Christmas. icon_smile.gif

I have a question about cake boards for wedding cake tiers...the ones no one will see until each tier is cut. If you're using corrugated cardboard cake boards, what do some of you use to cover them? I'm assuming that they need to be covered in something. Plastic? Foil?

And would this work for a 14", 12", 10", 8", 6" cake: Place a tall center dowel in the 14" tier and then slide the other tiers (cake board has center hole) over the dowel, so as to have a center support? OR...do you stack all the tiers, except for the top one, and then put the center dowel in the cake. Or is the center support really necessary?

Thanks very much!

3 replies
MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 4

I always dowel all my stacked cakes, even the 2 tiers. I run a dowel from the top tier all the way down to the board if it has a full cake topper. If not I dowel the tiers from second one down to the board and place the top tier at the reception site.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #3 of 4

I do not cover the cake boards that go between tiers. I use one single one and do not cover it.

As for the center dowel, you really don't need that unless you will be traveling with it assembled. If you do decide to do a center dowel, you would assemble the cake then use a sharpened dowel hammered into the center and through cake boards and all. You'll need to do this through 2-3 tiers at a time depending on how tall each of your tiers are.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:33am
post #4 of 4

I don't cover the cake boards. But I'm using SPS, so the cardboards are sitting on a plastic plate. No center dowel possible or needed with SPS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%