Dragees

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 1:19am by ILE

msnrozier Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 19

Hello,

I have a wedding cake to do and on the pic she sent me, the cake has a MILLLLION dragees on it, like a cluster on the bottom of each layer then they start spreading out! Did I mention it's 4 tiers!!

Question!!!!

Is there any way to get them on there WITHOUT doing it one by one!!!??

I almost don't want to do the cake. I did a sample for her last night and put some dragees on it and I had to squeeze them bet my two fingers and shoot it on the cake!

HELP,
Do I REALLY have to do them one by one?

18 replies
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #2 of 19

That's the only way I know how to do it ... one at a time. Pick up a good pair of tweezers. That will help getting them on. Even those aren't failsafe, though. I had a pair that just wouldn't hold anything round. I got another pair that seemed to work ok. Couldn't tell what the difference was except for all the dragees that I had to sweep up off of the floor! icon_redface.gif

antonia74 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 19

Not to panic! icon_surprised.gif An easy way to do it is to use thinned royal icing and paint it on the fondant semi-lightly about 3" at a time all around the cake, then you hold the cake tier in one hand and lightly scoop/press the dragees into the side of the cake. (Have you ever seen a baker pressing chopped walnuts into the sides of a carrot cake? It's the exact same idea!! The dragees will only stick to the wet royal icing in your case.) icon_smile.gif

One good tip, use the teeniest tiniest dragees you can find. The 1mm size are great for this! The larger they are, the heavier they are.

The trick is to very, very lightly mark the cake with pin pricks all the way around in the shape of the pattern you wanted to do. (You mentioned it was clustered, which is easy enough. The extra ones can be placed on randomly by hand afterwards.) Next step, working in only 3"-4" sections at a time, lightly paint the fondant with thinned royal icing. With a bowl of dragees, immediately scoop them into the palm of your hand and very lightly press them into the side of the cake until they stick.

Work all the way around the cake. Let it dry a few hours until they are well stuck, then go back and stick on the random repairs/extras you need to create the design she's looking for. thumbs_up.gif

DDiva Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:41am
post #4 of 19

Sorry, but there is no other way. However, I use a jeweler's tool to place them. It's sort of like the claw in one of those carnival games where you grab the toy. I bought mine from a jewlers supply house and sell them in my shop. I do ship decorating supplies so if you can't find one let me know.

It really makes it easier because it grabs the bead half way making it easier to place. It's also easier on your hands because you just have to depress the plunger on top instead of pinching tweezers over and over. If you need more info just let me know.

Carlachef Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:44am
post #5 of 19

Sounds like a Collette Peters cake. Just make sure you're charging for your time!!

msnrozier Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Not to panic! icon_surprised.gif An easy way to do it is to use thinned royal icing and paint it on the fondant semi-lightly about 3" at a time all around the cake, then you hold the cake tier in one hand and lightly scoop/press the dragees into the side of the cake. (Have you ever seen a baker pressing chopped walnuts into the sides of a carrot cake? It's the exact same idea!! The dragees will only stick to the wet royal icing in your case.) icon_smile.gif

One good tip, use the teeniest tiniest dragees you can find. The 1mm size are great for this! The larger they are, the heavier they are.

The trick is to very, very lightly mark the cake with pin pricks all the way around in the shape of the pattern you wanted to do. (You mentioned it was clustered, which is easy enough. The extra ones can be placed on randomly by hand afterwards.) Next step, working in only 3"-4" sections at a time, lightly paint the fondant with thinned royal icing. With a bowl of dragees, immediately scoop them into the palm of your hand and very lightly press them into the side of the cake until they stick.

Work all the way around the cake. Let it dry a few hours until they are well stuck, then go back and stick on the random repairs/extras you need to create the design she's looking for. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you sooo much, i have to look up how to put nuts on the side of a cake, so I can get a better understanding.

Carla
its on weddingcentral and it's 3 tiers, but this will be my first wedding cake and I charged 500.00. I KNOW this will be the bulk of my time!

cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:46am
post #7 of 19

antonia74 you are a genius. I would love to see a pic of this when you are done!

aligotmatt Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:59am
post #8 of 19

I did this cake very similarly to what antonia74 said http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1227974

The only difference is my cake was buttercream, so I used a viva paper towel on the edge and then would do the 3" section, dump the dragees and carefully press with the paper towel. Went back and added the extra ones around.

I would say the 4 tiers took 3 or 4 hours to put the pearls on... And I bought them, thank goodness, it was just under 3000 total, ranging from 4mm to 8mm.

cecerika Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #9 of 19

I didn't post the question, but sure enjoyed reading all of the great tips, and I love love love that gorgeous red wedding cake with the over 2500 pearls, thanks for sharing.

msnrozier Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 19

I have a pic of the cake on my desktop, can anyone tell me how to post it in here?[/img]

liapsim Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 19

msnrozier....to attach the photo into this thread:

Click post reply
scroll down and click Add an Atttachment under options....it will walk you through it from there!

Can't wait to see it!

msnrozier Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by liapsim

msnrozier....to attach the photo into this thread:

Click post reply
scroll down and click Add an Atttachment under options....it will walk you through it from there!

Can't wait to see it!

Thank you sooo much, keep in mind this is NOT my cake but the one that I am to do in April!! Hence this thread
LL

msnrozier Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 19

so I have to put them on the sides of the cake on on the top of the layer!! I wish, that would have been so much easier

aligotmatt Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 19

ooh I found this one, it may be the original inspiration http://www.brides.com/package/winter_weddings/receptions/slide/7991#_slide=8008_chip=0 and may give you more views to look at. Good luck!

msnrozier Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 12:38am
post #15 of 19

OMGgggggggggggggg, I am going to adding dragees for EVERRRRRRRRRRR, I am wondering if 500.00 was enuff now! It is my first wedding cake so I am going to bite the bullet.

tonedna Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #16 of 19

I always put them one by one....that looks like might be a lot of fun..
icon_redface.gif.. THe thing is the original cake from the bride magazine is a small cake...Replicating that in a bigger size...OMG.. not the type of work I would look for!

Edna

ILE Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:05am
post #17 of 19

it looks like alot of work.. and 500 its not enough. good luck.

msnrozier Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:08am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILE

it looks like alot of work.. and 500 its not enough. good luck.

You live and you learn! icon_cry.gif

ILE Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:19am
post #19 of 19

it's the only way live and learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%