Need Ideas!

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 4:59am by Getus

rcsnickers2 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:07am
post #1 of 7

I have my first order for a birthday cake. She wants a round chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling. She said she likes pink. She was not sure wanted she wanted and said for me to to do whatever! Great especially with all the ideas here on CC! So any ideas? It is her 18th birthday!

Now, I typically prefer chocolate buttercream on chocolate cakes but chocolate is not an icing to color and limits.

Pictures are wonderful since I am a visual person! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any tips!

6 replies
rcsnickers2 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

Should also state, her birthday is Jan 1st!

AZCakeGirl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 7

Pink & brown is a popular color combo these days, so if you wanted to stick with the chocolate buttercream you could maybe add some multi-sized pink polka dots. Then, possibly a big pink fondant bow on the top with "Happy 18th birthday!" in pink writing.

Or you could do the same type of idea only with little pink flowers all over instead of polka dots.

Getus Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 7

I recently made a cake...
8" round chocolate
choc chip cookie with whipped ganache on top and below the the middle of the two chocolate layers.
Iced in pink buttercream.
Chocolate ganache drizzled over the top and let run just down the sides a bit.
Topped with a live pink Gerbera Daisy in the center on top.
I got the idea from a cake on here, but do not remember who to give credit to! icon_cool.gif
It turned out really nice. Simple, yet very pretty...and yummy. thumbs_up.gif

rcsnickers2 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 7

hoe did you let the ganache run down the side? I have seen that before. Wheb I tried it once it ran all the way down -- to warm? What consistency should it be to run and stop midway down?

rcsnickers2 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #6 of 7

SORRY -- HOW not hoe! should of previewed first! Sorry!!!!!!!!!

Getus Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:59am
post #7 of 7

LOL! Too funny....
HOW I did it: yes, I let it cool for a bit, and I stirred it every so often, until it was slightly thick consitency. (You can tell when you take a spoon and turn the spoon on it's side and let the ganache run out of it...when it's just thick enough to do it). Then I spooned it on the top edge and let it run down...slowly. Then, I spooned more on the top and spread it around with a large offset spatula, to meet up with the edge, where I'd already drizzled it from. Put it in the frig for a bit to firm it up and it was great until the next day when it was eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%