Today's My Birthday...should I Make My Own Cake?

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 8:11am by tinygoose

tinygoose Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 11

Yep, I'm a Christmas Eve baby. Spent my very first Xmas in the hospital (more years ago than I care to disclose), while my DM went home and played Santa for my dad, brother and sister.

Anyway, for the last several years we have gone down to my DH mom's house for Christmas Eve, and she usually makes me a cake for my birthday. My DH asked me last night what kind of cake I wanted, and I realized I hadn't even thought about it. Sweet, sweet DH was going to make one for me.....I was very touched.......hmmmm......totally sweet.....but I have images of spending three hours on my birthday watching my 3 little kids......watching their dear dad......I hate to say..............destroying my kitchen...........flour everywhere..........he's never baked anything.........I kissed him and thanked him and asked him to go to the local bakery and just get a small cake, or a few cake slices, but it feels weird when I could just bake one, although it's Xmas eve and I have a million things to do.

So I'm just curious, how many cake people bake their own cakes???

10 replies
indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

So I'm just curious, how many cake people bake their own cakes???

Similar thread started a couple of days ago .... see other responses here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613142.html

SugarBakerz Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 11

I haven't baked my own yet, but there is a standing rule in my house that it doesn't come from another bakery... only can be bought if it is a cookie cake or ice cream cake... so I say BAKE AWAY!

Kitagrl Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 11

Nope I usually don't get cake...if I do, it means I begged an ice cream cake off my hubby. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 11

I just wanted to say..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

live2create Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 11

I say, "Make Your Own" it kinda like buying your own gift, even though others mean well your never dissapointed, try something you have been wanting to create an make is special just like you.. by the way
Have a Very Happy Birthday icon_smile.gif

korensmommy Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 11

Happy Birthday! I'm January 3rd and my family has always been good about not letting it get lost in the holidays.

My husband bakes twice a year:
1 - at Christmas, he makes a gingerbread army of people (currently in the
oven)
2 - for my birthday he makes me a cheesecake or cassada cake

Both done when the kids are in bed or napping, that's my other birthday gift!

BCJean Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 11

I love baking and decorating and have been doing it since, before most of you were born.

On my birthday, my career goes to the side. I don't want to even look at a birthday cake, done by me or anyone else. For one day out of the year, I am the, "non decorating" person in my life. I usually go out for dinner on my birthday.....the next day, I am back to being a cake decorator, only one year older.

I also wouldn't send flowers or a card to myself. I would buy myself a gift though, and almost always do.

tiawanna02 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 11

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! CAPRICORN IN THE HOUSE!!!!

My birthday was monday, I thought about making my own cake but felt lazy. Luckily I have an aunt who bakes cake. Do what you feel like doing, just enjoy your day icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

Oh I missed that part! icon_lol.gif From one Old Goat to another, Happy Birthday!

tinygoose Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:11am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

Oh I missed that part! icon_lol.gif From one Old Goat to another, Happy Birthday!

Thank you for all the wonderful birthday wishes. Happy Birthday to you fellow Capricorns!! I had a great day! Breakfast in bed, a bath by candlelight, and three different kinds of cake slices (and I didn't have to bake). I stayed in my pjs until 3pm too. Being a mother of 3 kids under six I never get a day to myself, it was a total treat! Happy Holidays to everyone!
Sally

PS) Ohhh! And I got an Agbay leveler as my big gift for my birthday....Wow! I don't think it could have been any better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%