Straight, Smooth Sides Of Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By gerripje Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm by sugarshack

gerripje Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I tried searching for the answer to this, but didn't find it. I have a problem getting straight sides. The cake is straight on one side and saggy and bulgy on the other. I was using Michele Fosters recipe with a WASC. Am I not smoothing the sides enough? Should I be using two smoothers on the sides at the same time? Am I pressing too hard on the top? I didn't completely chill the cake, and I covered it with buttercream about a little thicker than a regular crumb coat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3 replies
bashini Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 4

If there is bulging, you maybe putting the filling too much. I put a dam around each layer and then put the filling, just below the dam. The icing you use for the dam should be quite stiff. And leave it to rest overnight. If you can see any bulging next day, use a knife to trim it. And don't roll your fondant too thin.

I recommend Sugarshacks fondant DVD, where she explains everything properly. Even I learnt from her.

HTH.

tuffstuff Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 3:43am
post #3 of 4

I do have sugarshack's dvd but I am too lazy to do ALL her steps. I just use the VERY stiff buttercream dam and use that to fill in any uneveness (sp?). Then I do a very thin crumbcoat and stick it in the freezer while I roll out the fondant. That seems to do the trick for me.

sugarshack Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 4

i use a VERY stiff BC dam
let cakes settle
trim sides to make staright
crumbcaot
flash freeze for 7-8 minutes
cover with fondnat using 2 smoothers

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%