Cake Drums.....

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 12:38am by Carlachef

angiev77 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding cake boards? The only thing that I have found that will support a heavy cake is a drum but they are so expensive. The plain cardboard ones just don't do the job. Is there anything else that I can use that won't break me??????

9 replies
gramofgwen Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

I use double or triple foamcore boards, depending on how big/havey the cake is. Occasionally, I've used plywood sheets, but they add so much weight that the cakes are harder to lift and carry. icon_biggrin.gif

angiev77 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 10

Are you talking about the foamcore boards you can get at the craft store? If so do you cut them?

kakeladi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 10

I never had any luck w/cutting foamcore. It was always jaggedicon_sad.gif
You can double or triple any cake boards w/glue or dbl-face tape.
OR you can invenst in masonite or wood. Asking for the return of them helps keep the cost down.

cakesbykitty Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 10

I hit hobby lobby and buy the big foam core boards when they are on sale, hubby cuts them to size for me. I then cover them with food safe, FDA foil. WAY MORE AFFORDABLE than ordering pre made drums. With that said, if anyone knows of a place to order drums in bulk for a decent price/discount rate my hubby would be happy if you shared the link icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 10

I used 3 cardboards wrapped together. My cake supply store folks told me doing this was cheaper than buying the cake drums, which were basically just 3 cardboards wrapped together.

jillmakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 10

I'm a big fan of the foamcore boards also. I was hoping someone might have a better way to cut them. I just use an exacto knife.

For three or more tiers, I use plywood. I go to Lowes or home depot. The guys there will usually cut it into squares for me for free. I also get the pre-cut round wood pieces that are meant to be table tops. They have curved out edges and usually cost about $5.00 for a 14 inch round.

Carlachef Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 10

Where do you get the round wood boards? Home Depot wont cut round, only square.

dynee Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:09am
post #9 of 10

A while back, I purchased a Logan Oval /Round Mat cutter. It will cut all the way up to a 20 inch circle and it cuts on a bevel which I like. The bevel is only a problem if you want to add a ribbon around it. I Lucked out and found it on the Clearance rack at HL for about 38 dollars. It cuts the 3/16 like butter. The 1/2 inch is a little harder as there is a wheel that sort of cuts in on the thicker material, but what the heck. I'm going to cover that up anyway. I cover it with anything I want. If it is not food safe, I just add a thinner board the size of the cake covered in food safe foil. Just like kakesbykitty, I stock up on the half price sales at HL. I have tried masonite, but find that it will bend with a heavy cake and I don't like the odor it has.

Carlachef Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:38am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, We were going to purchase a mat cutter anyway. My boyfriend does alot of picture framing. I work at Michaels and have a 50% off coupon. We can get a really good one for $50. bucks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%