How Did You All Get Started?

Business By kimster Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 10:00am by gerripje

kimster Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

I would love to hear stories from those of you who wish to tell, on how you got started doing this... business or pleasure it doesn't matter. (Part of my day job, people tell me about them all of the time, it's the best part of my job!) icon_smile.gif

8 replies
jammjenks Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 9

My husband has always enjoyed playing basketball. It's his #1 hobby. I was ragging him one day about playing so much of it when he told me I should get a hobby. Well, our daughters were 3 and 4 at the time, so a hobby outside of the home was not really an option. One of his co-workers took a cake-decorating class at a local craft store and would bring in her practice cakes for the warehouse guys to eat. One day he came home and told me, "You could do better than her. You should take a class too." I took the Wilton 1 class in Oct. 2006 and have been going strong ever since. It started out with cakes for family and friends. Once people outside of my circle of friends/family started ordering from me, I decided I'd better look into getting legal. I have since become a licensed in-home baker and consider cakes my part-time job. One day I hope to make it my full-time job.

Mike1394 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

About 40 some odd yrs ago with an Easy bake oven. Right after that I got in my first fight after someone made fun of it too. LOLOL

Mike

juleskaye518 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 9

My story is very simular. My DH has a 72 Corvette that he is rebuilding and was spend all his time down in the garage. So I searched and thought that since I love to cook/bake, take the class and go from there. Well, it has taken off from there. I just started last August or so and just love it. I still suck, but I'm having fun. And I know that no matter what cake toy I buy, it'll never be as expensive at his car parts!!!

tarheelgirl Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 9

My hubby's grandmother baked cakes for over 25 years! She made them for the local hospitals and GE. She had tons of Wilton products. When I had my son I asked if she would make him his 1st cake.. she said here let me give you the stuff and you make it!! She was in her 70's at the time. So, I took all the supplies from her that was needed and the rest is history!!! I fell in love with cakes and decorating..

I had only made cakes for family and friends. My kids are 8 & 5 so they always love picking out what they want on their cakes. Well, soon it became all the kids in the family that wanted a "special" cake for their birthdays. I had a couple of friends start asking how much would I charge to make their cakes.. then of course parents at their parties started to ask. I decided hey I'm pretty good at this.. better get legal. 6 months later and here I am! busy and tired!!! icon_biggrin.gif But loving it!!

cakesdivine Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 9

My best childhood friend's mother was a cake decorator, although we are in Texas she did it out of her home, but she also worked part time at the local grocery store bakery. I spent as much time as I could at her house watching her mom make the most phenominal cakes. She taught her daughter & I how to make roses, make parchment bags and more. I was hooked. When I got older I designed my wedding cake & she made it for me, but I did my own grooms cake. Well her cake tasted horrible, looked great but no one ate it! My grooms cake was gone in 5 minutes flat. Then about a year later while I was on maternity leave my mom purchased a gift certificate for me to take the Wilton course at JC Penny's. I already knew quite a bit, but learned even more, So then I took course 2 then 3. I did cakes for family & friends for years, then as with most people started asking me to make cakes for them. At first I would just have them purchase the ingredients for me and I would do the cake for them. But as time went on I started decorating for a local grocery store. During this time I also owned a very successful dance studio, so I always had in my head that cakes would be my retirement profession. When I closed my studio I immediately opened Cakes Divine, that was back in 2000.

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9

See add'l responses under this similar thread (12-23-0icon_cool.gif http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613161.html , and under this similar thread (10-16-0icon_cool.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6129884-.html#6129884

Bonnie151 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 9

I've always loved baking & cooking and after I returned to work from maternity leave following my second child I realised I was desperate to leave corporate life. I spent 18 months planning my escape and then unbelievably, just as we'd decided to gut the kitchen to become licensed and gradually build up a PT business while keeping my day job, I was offered a whopping voluntary severance package. It was enough to give me the equivalent of 21 months net salary in the bank after tax and was paid 2 weeks after I became licensed. This was just back in June and business has exploded. I'm absolutely thrilled!

gerripje Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:00am
post #9 of 9

A friend of mine asked me to make her wedding cake in 2002, she got married in August of 2007. That was because I made a really good chocolate cake with ganache and what not, it wasn't pretty and I never thought of decorating because I just didn't think I could do it. She bought me the 52 tip Wilton kit and a few Wilton books and I got practicing....in April of 2007! I didn't like it, she wanted a stacked square cake 3 high, covered in fondant with a bow on top. I hated every minute and never wanted to see, smell or taste fondant again. In Sept of this year, my cousin was down and depressed and I decided to make him a birthday cake. Since then, I have read and watched everything I can find online about cake decorating. I ended up with a bag RTU gum paste by accident and thought I'll never use this, but I started playing around with it and I am hooked. For four months I have been gum pasting my heart out and love it love it! I don't sell cakes or anything, but I've been getting alot of people saying that I should! So we'll see what happens. In the mean time I just really like doing it, now....that is because I didn't know about this website before!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%