Does Anyone Use Some Sort Of Chocolate Enhancer?

Decorating By jsmith Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm by rezzygirl

jsmith Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:02am
post #1 of 5

Someone mentioned adding chocolate liqueur to cakes so I checked around on the internet and there seems to be a few different things you can add to give a more chocolate flavor that I had never heard of. For example, chocolate extract or creme de cacao. I was wondering if anyone had tried these and what you recommend. I had a torte at a restaurant and there was this great burst of chocolate flavor. I'd love to get that with my cakes. Thanks!

4 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 6:18am
post #2 of 5

I've used chocolate extract before but I thought it tasted fake, it might not have been a good brand though, I just picked it up at the super market.
Adding a little bit of cinnamon is supposed to enhance the taste of chocolate, I've never tried it before but it's worth a shot.
Oh and coffee is suposed to help also, I've heard of people replacing the water in their recipes with coffee.

Beckalita Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 5

LorAnn makes a chocolate flavor oil, you may want to try that....

jsmith Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips. Now I can rule out the extract and try the oil. It saves me from ruining a batch of cake. icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 5

I always add a couple tbls. of expresso powder to chocolate cake & brownie batter with the dry ingredients. It doesn't make them taste like coffee, but it really boosts the chocolate flavor. I use the very finely ground expresso powder that I get from King arthur flour's website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%