Getting A Smooth Crumb Coat

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 1:58am by cakesbykitty

Cathy26 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 8

Im having a few problems getting a smooth coating for under my fondant. my BC sometimes tears the cake or when im leveling the cake it tears a bit and then if it stick the bit back on it comes off again when i crumb coat - any tips? I just did my first square cake and it was a nightmare as the corners nearly all came off!!

7 replies
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 8

Do you slightly freeze your cake before crumb coating? This firms up the cake and makes it a little easier. Sounds like your icing might be a little thick .... if you thin it down, it will go on smoother, won't grab the cake and will avoid those tearings you're having.

Cathy26 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 8

It was frozen but had defrosted quite a bit by the time i had got it levelled. il have to work a bit quicker obviously! will also try thinning my bc

I use just icing sugar (say 300grams) and butter (say 200g) (and then add flavouring) which is pretty thick. Whats the best way of thinning, can i use boiling water? i dont really want to use milk in case i affects the longevity of it out of the fridge.

mcdonald Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 8

I would tell you what I always do...

* I always freeze my cakes and then crumb coat while partially frozen.

* When crumb coating, I always use a thinned down version of my icing. I use whatever liquid I originally used in the recipe, to thin it down as well.. whether it is milk, water, or some other medium.

* I always make sure my cake is a good "stable" cake. Chocolate cakes are always a bit harder for me because they are more moist than say a white cake

Malakin Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 8

I had the same problem until I changed to the WASC recipe. The one I was using and the ones made by the box always tore, ripped, crumbled (frozen or not). Maybe it's not the icing.

FlourPots Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 8

My WASC's never tear either. For smoothness under fondant, have you tried ganaching? When I used BC as filling, and a large Symphony milk choc. bar, melted w/ heavy cream, for the outside, I got great results. For me, it was easier to smooth than BC. I used the hot spatula method.

I read about using the Symphony bar here at CC (I don't like ganache made w/ semi-sweet).

DsLady614 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #7 of 8

I just have to say, you should consider finding a good icing recipe. The milk and/or corn syrup in a recipe is what makes it workable. Just adding water to butter and sugar won't achieve what you're looking for since water doesn't mix with fat (butter). That isn't a very practical recipe in the long run. Consider some of the many recipes here. Indydebi, Sugarshack, and my favorite Serious_Cakes all have very delicious recipes. A little milk in a recipe is NOT going to affect it's ability to be outside the fridge. I've had cakes out for days and they are fine. The sugar acts as a preservative.

cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:58am
post #8 of 8

i just use the thin version of buttercream icing that is thinned down just a LITTLE bit more so it is easy to spread and coat thinly. Since it is a crusting butter cream it dries quickly and seals everything in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%