Number One Cause Of Cake Falling

Decorating By emie Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm by JanH

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 12

What would you say was the #1 reasons for a cake to fall? I always thought it was over beating or baking too hot. Thanks.

11 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 12

Side Question... What would you consider "over beating" ? I just keep at it untill the batter changes colour..not like, pink to green, but you know what I mean... lol

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 12

I thought it was over baking? My SIL cakes always come out real nice and as soon as she takes it out of the oven it falls! I guess the cake gods dont like her to much!

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks! Good question muddpuppy. I don't really know how long to beat either. I've just always heard not to over mix the batter.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 12

I am not sure what the number one reason for cakes falling but I know it happened to me all the time! BUT, ever since I discovered the flower nail theory, I have ever had another problem! My cake always seem to bake up just right now! Here is the thread about adding the cake nails if anyone is interested! Merry Chrsitmas!! Great thread!!!!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/the-flower-nail-method-tutorial-ftopicp-6186600.html#6186600

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 12

The cake nail is great. I have never had a cake fall. I just bake at 320 like suggested on here and use the cake nail for the larger cakes.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 12

Ditto here.... I am all about the flower nails in the center of my cakes. I use them on anything 8" and over and never have a problem.
~ Jaime

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 12

The only time I have had a cake fall is when I go to check to see if it is done and I touch the top. YOu can almost hear the hissing sound as it falls hahaha! I have now learned to just turn on the oven light and see if the sides are pulling a way a little. Then I know it is usually safe to check it.

I love the change color idea for beating!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 12

In my humble opinion the #1 reason is due to not baking long enough.

If you sis's cakes always fall as soon as she takes them out of the oven it is not baked enough.
Is she testing it w/a toothpick? Waiting until she smells fevore testing? Is the oven temp correct.....has the oven been calibrated recently? It might not be working properly.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 12

loriemoms, sorry i had to chuckle at your post cos this is exactly what has happend to me, several times and yes it almost makes that sound and then slowly but surely down it goes...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:02am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

loriemoms, sorry i had to chuckle at your post cos this is exactly what has happend to me, several times and yes it almost makes that sound and then slowly but surely down it goes...

It is the saddest sound in the world. The sound of a cake colapsing. That is the loudest softest sound there is! haha!

Both are just cakes dying. Nothing worse then a dead cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 12

Duplicate post, for additional responses, please also see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613167.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%