Adding Candy Canes/peppermints In Frosting

Decorating By ChrisPA Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm by FromScratch

ChrisPA Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all, Happy Holidays!

My question is this: I am making a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream (cheated and bought the premade 4 lb. Wilton tub) and will be putting Bob's Soft peppermint Sticks around the outside of the cake.

I want to implement a little peppermint taste into the cake but not sure how to do this with the premade icing. I was going to make a fine powder of the peppermint and incorporate it into the filling. Would this really work without making the frosting too bumpy? How about covering the cake with it?

Thanks all!

3 replies
Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

Of course, pieces of peppermint will add texture. I f you want to go for no bumps for sure, go with peppermint extract, or better yet, peppermint oil. That'll give you the flavor for sure!! Hope it works for you!!

aligotmatt Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 4

I put candy canes in the food processor, don't make it like a dust, a little bit chunky. Put your premade in a bowl - the amount you need for filling. Mix in a little bit of peppermint extract (it goes a long way!) and the crushed candy canes. They add a nice color and flavor to the filling.

FromScratch Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

I like the little bit of crunch they add, and if it sits for a while they sort of melt in anyway. I add some peppermint extract too.. like Alison said.. be careful.. a little will take you far. Potent stuff that peppermint extract is.. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%