Help Me With My New Snowflake Cutters Please!

Decorating By luvscakes Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm by krambkakes

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 17

Hi!

I had ordered some new patchwork snowflake cutters. I assumed they'd be the same as using cookie cutters but boy was I wrong!

It says to grease the well then press onto fondant but my fondant keeps getting stuck inside them.

Can anyone give me any pointers or tips on how to use these?

Thanks so much!

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 17

Your fondant is way too thick and too fresh. Use a pasta roller on setting 4. That's the right thickness. Then after running the piece of fondant through the pasta roller, let it sit on your counter for 5 minutes or so. Then use the cutters. The fondant will pop right out when you tap the cutter against the counter.

luvscakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 17

Thank you so much!!
I was wondering if either one of those things had something to do with it.
Thanks again!!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 17

I never got mine to work properly. I just gave up. I tried everything. I made my snowflakes by hand with white chocolate. Wish I could offer more suggestions myself icon_sad.gif

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 17

Leahs is spot on about too-fresh fondant. I add Tylose to Satin Ice or Wilton fondant until it's a little on the dry side. Patchwork cutters are a nightmare with fresh, soft fondant. They are actually made to be used with gumpaste (per Nick Lodge).

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 17

I did it with gumpaste ... didn't work for me... I tried rolling it so thin you could see through it, a bit thicker than that; to other degrees of thickness. I tried letting it dry some before cutting as other suggested. I tried every method suggested and it did not work for me at all!! I threw in the towel and made them by hand using white chocolate. I wish I could have gotten them to work, but nothing I tried seemed to matter icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 17

I just took a class with Nick Lodge and we used the snowflake Patchwork cutters. We did use Nick's gum paste recipe rolled very thin (#5 on the KA pasta roller).

We greased the board and stuck the gum past down to it. We then gently rubbed whatever crisco we had left on our hands onto the cutter.

Ideally, after using the PW cutter, the snowflake stayed stuck to the board--more often than not, it stayed in the cutter, so we used a pin to gently remove it.

When I've used these with pure fondant, I rub some CS over the surface of the fondant before using the cutter. I find that this really helps when removing the snowflakes.

HTH
Rae

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 17

i hate those cutters, lol

luvscakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks guys!
I'm glad to know I'm not just specially challenged at this!
I've been at it all morning and it is a nightmare!
I was so excited to start using these but with all the time it has taken me I'm not too sure. I have managed to get some that are usable- but not necessarily up to my regular standard either.
I'll be posting a photo when I'm done!

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 17

So sorry luvscakes that the cutters did not work for you. I would like to buy some snowflake cutters but am confused now at which are the best. Any suggestions?

luvscakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 17

Ok- I'm done! My back is ack'n from all that time hunched over. This cake took me 8 hrs to do and still isn't what I wanted- but it's good enough.

Man! Will I be ready for tedious work next time.

Check it out under my photos.

Thanks again!

And I have no idea what to recommend. A lot of practice with these maybe? And patience? And the expectation that they will take you forever to do?!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:33am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

So sorry luvscakes that the cutters did not work for you. I would like to buy some snowflake cutters but am confused now at which are the best. Any suggestions?

Here's another post that gave other options for snow flakes.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605660.html

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:37am
post #13 of 17

Your cake looks great and so do the snowflakes!

However, you are not supposed to stick wire into cake. Floral wire should not come into contact with anything that is to be eaten.

luvscakes Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks sparkle. I cut and insert my wire into those tiny coffee straws so they aren't touching the cake. I love using decoration on wire- it adds a bit of something fun!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #15 of 17

I'm glad this came up, I was looking at getting those cutters too! icon_rolleyes.gif

krambkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krambkakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 17

I purchased those cutters (snowflakes) at the Nick Lodge open house and every time I used them the fondant/gumpaste stuck in them too!!!! I had the same problem with the "Funky Letter" set. I let the dough dry out a little bit and I sprayed the cutter with Pam. MUCH BETTER!!!!!! Also Nick used a pin or a needle to "flick" the edges to put air behind the dough...that also helped in removing. The largest snowflake could be pressed down into the dough, but the smaller flakes you need to use the "pie method" in which you hold the cutter (or put into foam block) and roll dough on top of cutter, then flick up edges....Try this before giving up the cutters are fabulous!!!!

krambkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krambkakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #17 of 17

I purchased those cutters (snowflakes) at the Nick Lodge open house and every time I used them the fondant/gumpaste stuck in them too!!!! I had the same problem with the "Funky Letter" set. I let the dough dry out a little bit and I sprayed the cutter with Pam. MUCH BETTER!!!!!! Also Nick used a pin or a needle to "flick" the edges to put air behind the dough...that also helped in removing. The largest snowflake could be pressed down into the dough, but the smaller flakes you need to use the "pie method" in which you hold the cutter (or put into foam block) and roll dough on top of cutter, then flick up edges....Try this before giving up the cutters are fabulous!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%