Do You Make Your Own Birthday Cake??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm by katwomen1up

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #31 of 48

I wanted to this year, but my sister surprised me with one! Next year I will! If not I'll cary cause "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to"!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:56pm
post #32 of 48

I'm with indydebi. The last thing I want for my bday is cake. The past two years, my hubby ordered me a fruit bouquet from Edible Arrangements. The chocolate covered strawberries and bananas are to die for! I'm already looking forward to next year's bday. icon_lol.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:35pm
post #33 of 48

no just because my family likes to flutter about me on that day and they tend to feel inadequate if I am planning any part of my own celebration, so I dutifully indulge in the ice cream cake-which I love anyways!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:46pm
post #34 of 48

You bet I'll be making my own cake...like I could trust anyone else to do it? Or buy an inferior product from a local bakery? I don't think sooooo! icon_biggrin.gif Plus, good excuse to make something fancy for pictures that won't go to waste either!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #35 of 48

Yes I do! This year I made a 6 tier cake! the bottom 3 were dummy, the top 3 were served.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #36 of 48

I made my own cake for the first time this year. I made it exactly how I wanted it which was nice for a change and had a blast making it since I made it during a class with my local cake club gals.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #37 of 48

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who makes my bday cakes, I was starting to feel like a loser. Funny thing though, I never actually eat my bday cakes. I think I just want to do something without having rules and "suggestions" to go by. My 30th bday was in Aug so I did a real kooky cake (it's in my photos). It was all over the place theme-wise, but that's how I am anyway.
Here's 2 long stories of my bday experiences: bear with me...

One year, I think #23, my DH made a decorated a cake for me. He said it looked like a 3 year old on ritalin decorated it. It was a mess, but it was so sweet I saw past the big glob of BC that was supposed to be a rose and loved it.

Another year, #25, my stand mixer burned out on me so DH went and bought a handheld KitchenAid mixer b/c the store didn't have any KA stand mixers in stock. I looked at it like, "this thing is so flimsy, it'll probably break when it touches the BC" (Oh the irony). I was making my cake and made the dumbest mistake ever: I needed to mix in some color to a small amount of BC so I plugged in my mixer BEFORE PUTTING ON THE ATTACHMENTS! If you don't know what could potentially happen when you do that, read on for your safety. Anyway, plugged in mixer and started to put the beater attachments in without checking to see if the mixer was on. As soon as that second beater clicked into place on went the mixer catching my right thumb in the process. The mixer kept going until it couldn't go any further (due to the fact that my thumb was completely locked and intertwined in the attachment). I couldn't even scream it hurt so bad. My DH heard the commotion of me knocking the mixer everywhere, came in and started the painful task of dislodging my thumb from the mixer. He finally got me out and since he works in the medical field suggested we go to the hospital for XRays. I'm a supertrooper, so I refused and attempted to turn out a halfway decent cake...yeah, thumbless on your dominant hand...don't get your hopes up, your cake will probably suck- and mine did. Needless to say, my DH waited a day before he looked at me and said, "Hey, that KA mixer ain't so flimsy after all huh?" Couldn't help but laugh, cause he's too big to beat.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:15pm
post #38 of 48

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Am I the only one who still loves to eat cake even after all this years decorating!..I could eat cake everyday!!!!!! icon_cry.gif
icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:09am
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Am I the only one who still loves to eat cake even after all this years decorating!..I could eat cake everyday!!!!!! icon_cry.gif
icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I can eat.. and almost do eat cake.. EVERYDAY!!! I always crave it. Always, always, always! I keep mini cupcakes around the house to satisfy my cravings without eating too big of a slice. MMMmmm!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:37am
post #40 of 48

Thank God I am not alone!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope

I bake my own then let my 8 year old daughter forst and decorate it. She has a blast decorating and I get to spend some quality time with my daughter having fun.

How sweet! I might try that next year! icon_smile.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I used to not really care for cake (that's one reason I thought this would be a good hobby-I wouldn't eat it! LOL) ...then I started making and experimenting and trying the new tips I learned from cc and now I really enjoy a good moist cake! I even like icing now-I never ate the stuff before I started making it!
So Edna I am with ya now! thumbs_up.gif

jessnsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessnsam Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:07pm
post #43 of 48

No i always get one given to me, i dnt think i'd want to make my own. My db made mine icon_biggrin.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:27pm
post #44 of 48

Well, I don't want cake on my birthday! I still don't mind eating it occaisionally, but it is not a "treat."

After being around cakes 6 days a week for 14 years....I much rather savor a good piece of pie or cheesecake.

I am lucky to even have time to celebrate my JUNE birthday!

tastefullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastefullysweet Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:18pm
post #45 of 48

I make everybody's BD cakes, so of course I make my own. Actually, these last years I'm just inviting people for coffee and cake (and maybe some other types of dessert), because I love to bake and while I do cook a lot and do it well, I don't enjoy making other (not sweet) food so much. So, I get to have fun cooking for my birthday, and people can't complain they are too full to eat dessert! icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #46 of 48

No one can make my cake better than me, so of course I make my own. LOL

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #47 of 48

I always ask for a French silk pie from Baker's Square for my birthday.

But if I wasn't getting one of those I'd make my own!

icon_biggrin.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #48 of 48

Yes I made mine last year, I will probably make mine this year again. I will be 50 in 13 more days! Haven't decided what I will do yet. I guess I better think about it though. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%