Do You Make Your Own Birthday Cake??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm by katwomen1up

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 48

This topic is just for a fun conversation! icon_smile.gif

My birthday is still a month away but I'm already thinking about my birthday cake! I will be 30 this year and as part of my gift I would love to have child-free time to make a creation without having to cater to a client's requests! icon_smile.gif

My family frowned on me last year for making my own (I was doing cake classes and had one the night before, so had to make a cake anyways!). I was just wondering if other people's families frown on it! icon_smile.gif If I leave my DH to get a cake I would probably get Dairy Queen or a grocery store cake!

47 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 48

Oh yes, I most certainly make my own! They don't frown on me though. They know I'm having fun so they let me. icon_smile.gif Plus it is one more cake that I can put on my website. icon_smile.gif And if we are going to a restaurant then I bring the cake with so lots of people can see. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 48

I made my own for the first time this year - the baseball cap tone that is posted in my photos...left to my family, I probably wouldn't have gotten one at all!!!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 48

Yes.. but it's because they almost make me! Haha. They say they are afraid i'll have high expectations and that they rather it be right and me by happy.. than wrong and me mad. I have NO clue where they got this idea from.. because I lovee tasting other peoples cake creations.. especially since I get into a rut and begin baking the same things over and over.

So.. I made mine the last two years.. even though i've only been decorating the past year.. well since July, but my Bday is in November.

Silly family icon_wink.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 48

My sister bought me a small one last year from the grocery store! thumbsdown.gif I would have rather her make one it would have tasted better and would have meant more. This year I will be making my own!! I have not made a topsy turvy cake yet and thought this would be a great time to try!

I LOVE the idea of taking it out to a restaurant. thumbs_up.gif Marketing our business and eating the yummy cake. icon_biggrin.gif

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 48

I don't because my youngest sister insists I shouldn't have to and she does. She was so cute this year...she made a scrabble board (not an easy undertaking for a non-decorator!) and my other sister reported that the whole time she was doing it, she was muttering things like 'I can't believe Lara finds this enjoyable' and other things that probably shouldn't be posted in a forum! I think it's sweet that she wants to make my cake each year. icon_biggrin.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 48

I was thinking of trying a Topsy Turvy for my birthday too! LOL! I don't go to restaurants for my birthday yet as I find it more relaxing at home since the kids can be more easily amused... I find taking a 2 year old and 5 year old out for dinner is more work than it's worth! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif Thank goodness for take out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I have not made a topsy turvy cake yet and thought this would be a great time to try!

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 48

I have a 5 & 8 year old and it is STILL not easy to take them out! LOL

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 48

My 3 year old loves to go out to dinner so we go when we can. He usually behaves well.
Plus I like all the wows I get for the cake. It never brings any business usually but everyone is amazed.
Jen...

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 48

I had my 50th this year and my family and coworkers threw my a party. It was supposed to be a surprise but they had to end up telling me about it so I wouldnt take a bunch of cake orders. I asked to do my BD cake because it would have been a sheet cake. They didn't want me to but ended up letting me. It is in my photos - a shameless copy of a red and black topsy turvy that I had wanted to try for a while.

This year I will prbably let them do what they want.

Susan

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 48

I would love to have time to make my own. My birthday is at the busiest time of year(mid Dec), so I have yet to do it. I don't ever get cake-dh knows none of us will eat a grocery store cake and he is not to be found in the kitchen (well, except when I'm at a critical time in the decorating process and he wants to chit chat!)

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 48

My children are 22 and 26 and it's still difficult taking them to dinner!!! LOL, hang in there it really does get easier. icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 48

Heck no, no way! The LAST thing I want on my birthday is cake ... made by ANYONE!

Except this year .... in 26 days I turn 50 and I'm making a giant cake for the occasion ... because I'll be in the middle of a 3-day catering for one of my fraternities. So I get to spend my 50th birthday with 100 college guys! icon_biggrin.gif IT's going to be a mardi gras cake so I can wear feathers and boas!

slope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slope Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 48

I bake my own then let my 8 year old daughter forst and decorate it. She has a blast decorating and I get to spend some quality time with my daughter having fun.

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:53pm
post #15 of 48

Well, if I want cake (and I always want cake!!)...yep, I gotta make it. But I use the opportunity to try out new recipes!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 48

I haven't made my own....but I don't usually get a bday cake anyway so at least I don't have to have a store bought one either!!

Be careful of taking cakes to restaurants.....I had a customer this summer that was taking her mom (70ish) and a few family/friends to a really nice lunch. When they got to the rest. they wouldn't let them bring the cake in !!! Restaurant was really nice to give bday girl a free piece of their signature dessert but wanted to charge $4 a piece for everyone else to have some. Needless to say I think my customer will not be going back to that establishment any time soon (especially for a bday celebration).

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 48

I now make my own, since my husband tried to surprise me one year. Well, he ran out of 10x sugar for the frosting, so he just added extra butter!!!! He actually is a very smart guy, just doesn't understand ingredient ratios. It was a good chocolate cake, but covered with greasy glop. I love that he tried, though!

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #18 of 48

Hi!

I just turned 30 last week and since it was such a milestone I asked my hubby to bake one for me (with the kids help).

He actually ended up working late that day and we had dinner reservations somewhere later, so he quickly threw together a dark chocolate 6" cake with german chocolate filling and dark chocolate ganache, which the kids poured over the top.
It was fresh out of the oven while he cut the tops off and filled it- I was shocked it even worked!
Not the prettiest thing in the world, but the effort was sweeticon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Quote:

So I get to spend my 50th birthday with 100 college guys! Very Happy IT's going to be a mardi gras cake so I can wear feathers and boas!

You must post pictures of this!! LOL Sounds fun!!

I am actually sick of cake.. I cannot even smell it anymore when it bakes. icon_cry.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #20 of 48

Indydebi,
Sounds like you could have a fun birthday with 100 guys, what a way to celebrate the BIG 50, I already had that. Have you considered jumping out of the cake, that would get those frat boys. party.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

When they got to the rest. they wouldn't let them bring the cake in !!!

Not surprised ... that's not unusual. Health dept regulations aside about serving food not prepared in their kitchen and not knowing if it was prepared under health dept guidelines, if the restaurant makes money by selling cake, why would they let you bring in cake? I'm sure they won't let you bring in your own salad and sandwich either. It's just a good idea to check first and not assume that "everyone let's you" bring a cake in.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Indydebi,
Sounds like you could have a fun birthday with 100 guys, what a way to celebrate the BIG 50, I already had that. Have you considered jumping out of the cake, that would get those frat boys. party.gif

I've worked with this fraternity for a few years, so I'm their Banna and they're "Banna's Boys", so if I had to work my 50th, I'm glad it's going to be with these guys!

And do you realize how big that cake has to be to be wider than my hips? icon_lol.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #23 of 48

I haven't had a birthday since I started decorating, but I'm positive I won't this next birthday. Probably all birthdays after that I'll make something spectacular. Here's the reason: My future hubby has a birthday on June 4. We are getting married on June 6, '09. I have a birthday on June 8. So, it's going to be quite a hectic week and the birthdays next year will be all but forgotten. Now, in years later if we aren't out of town celebrating all three events, I'll make a huge cake to cover all three. I'm really thinking now...maybe it could be hideous like the bottom layer is a manly kind of look for the 4th birthday and the second layer a wedding type of look for the 6th, and the top a feminine look for the 8th. Ewwww... icon_razz.gif

Lisa

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:50pm
post #24 of 48

I haven't had a birthday since I started decorating, but I'm positive I won't this next birthday. Probably all birthdays after that I'll make something spectacular. Here's the reason: My future hubby has a birthday on June 4. We are getting married on June 6, '09. I have a birthday on June 8. So, it's going to be quite a hectic week and the birthdays next year will be all but forgotten. Now, in years later if we aren't out of town celebrating all three events, I'll make a huge cake to cover all three. I'm really thinking now...maybe it could be hideous like the bottom layer is a manly kind of look for the 4th birthday and the second layer a wedding type of look for the 6th, and the top a feminine look for the 8th. Ewwww... icon_razz.gif

Lisa

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 48

Indydebi,
You are a riot, I hope those guys appreciate you. Sounds like our birthdays are close together & also our hips, but mine probably are a little bigger since I'm a little older.
Merry Christmas!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #26 of 48

lol..Only one person did a cake for me, my best friend and dance partner.. NO Knowledge of cake..He made a cake one layer chocolate and 2 layers of butter and filled it up with cherry pie filling. Used can icing to frost. It was not the prettiest cake but it was made with lots of love. I will never forget it. My friends and other family dont dare to try..And my son, he will with my help..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #27 of 48

No cake for me at all! I don't even want to smell it anymore, let alone eat it. DH bring me my favorite dessert for my birthday....Killler Brownies from a local gourmet grocery store. They are fudgy, thick, and have the best caramel filling in them. I'd probably shoot him if he came home with cake instead, lol.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #28 of 48

[quote="tarheelgirl"]

Quote:
Quote:

quote]

I am actually sick of cake.. I cannot even smell it anymore when it bakes. icon_cry.gif

I can't smell them either anymore!

As for making my own....I guess I willl eventually. I don't care for cake, or any sweets for that matter. But to me it would be fantastic if my hubby would even attempt to make me a birthday cake....heck, even buy me one!

I haven't had a birthday cake in 8 years......Sad!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:19pm
post #29 of 48

I would be shocked and so pleased if my dh and ds made me a cake. But I guess dh sees me having so much fun in the kitchen that he asumes that I'll make it. (But if you want someone to do something for you, even if you think it is obvious, you gotta ask.)

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:27pm
post #30 of 48

I made my own this year, a simple apple spice cake. We were staying at a historic lighthouse in Wisconsin where my parents were guest keepers for a week; it was interesting having to mix everything by hand because there was no electricity ~ only a rustic gas oven!! Not the prettiest, but definitely the most delicious cake I've eaten in quite awhile icon_surprised.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%